Double vision

D13REW

Hi all

Can any of you give me some advice please? I'm pretty new to stalking and beggining to think about binoculars. Trouble is that I seem to get an image from each eye using both the 2 pair I inherited. that isnt aligned with each other (if that makes sense) kind of double vision. Both the images are perfectly focused but i need to shut one eye in order to see clearly. The 2 pair I have are Zenieth and cinamon or something like that. and if its a case of them being cheap I am willing to pay for a decent pair but would like to know if any of you know where you can try before you but in the north east of england.

Thanks

It sounds like the collimation is out on your binoculars. As a quick check, hold them at arms length and look through them from the "wrong" end (i.e. the objective, or the big lens). The view you see through them should be a perfect circle.

Also have a look at this video:

Some binoculars have a small grub screw near the eyepiece that can be used to correct collimation, but personally I'd either take them to a repair center or, if they're not worth it, invest in a new pair.

willie_gunn

I thought maymbe that was it but my friend can use them fine

I bought a pair of secondhand Steiner binoculars from eBay that the seller insisted had perfect optics. When I looked through them though there was definitely a double image, so don't worry too much about what your friend can see. Try to get to a game fair, a good optical shop or an RSPB reserve and have a look through a decent set of binos and see if you still have a problem. If you were closer to me you'd be welcome to meet up and try a pair.

Good luck!

willie_gunn

Thanks everybody had it confirmed there is definately something wrong with the bino's but they have sentimental value. I'll just invest in a new pair if anyone has any ideas?

Back