Just an idea.......

basil

Distinguished Member
One day this week my Mrs came back from shopping and in the bag were some Ainsley Harriet, Broccoli and Stilton cup a soups.
When you make one in a mug they taste great, they`re not watery and they are filling.
I`m thinking "Hello, 3 or 4 of them made up in the slow cooker with some Venison steaks and dumplings. (or mashed potato) and fresh veg of your own choosing.
What say the experimenters on here??
basil.

What a thing to do to venison! I am enjoying a pair of 3/4" thick, pan seared mule deer steaks as I write this. Can't get past the marvelous flavor my main course to see stewing good steaks in soup mix. At least not at the moment....

...maybe tomorrow it will appeal to me. ;) ~Muir

Oh no Muir, the flavour of Stilton goes well with Venison. Next time you are feeling adventureous try this.. On a piece of foil lay out some smoked bacon, lay a venison steak on that then break up some Stilton over it. Fold the bacon over then wrap it loosely in the foil. In the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on medium heat. It`s a flavour to die for.
A good quality soup reduces to a more sauce type liquid. Rabbit caseroled in tomato soup is another favourite. Experiment, you may get to like it..

Ok. You convinced me (it wasn't a long road) to try it. Anything involving venison, bacon, and cheese can't be all bad. Last night tho, I was in the grips of venison fever: seared and rare. It was hard to imagine anything better! Last week I made a venison and green chili stew with fresh Hatch (New Mexico) chili's I froze last fall. Amazing. Coarsely portioned (chunky) but flavorful with a hint of heat. I made some fresh buttermilk biscuits to go with it. Delicious.

Keep'em coming. I eat venison almost exclusively when I eat red meat; perhaps 3-4 days per week. As long as it doesn't involve reducing red wine and currents for a sauce, I'll give it a try!~Muir

What a thing to do to venison! I am enjoying a pair of 3/4" thick, pan seared mule deer steaks as I write this. Can't get past the marvelous flavor my main course to see stewing good steaks in soup mix. At least not at the moment....

...maybe tomorrow it will appeal to me. ;) ~Muir[/QUOTE
Ditto

I've just been reading a book with sausage recipes in and it says venison and stilton is an amazing combination.

Well, the plan today was to try the venison in the Broccolli and Stilton soup.

Mid afternoon the call came to go shooting so when i got home i thought i`d still do the experiment but won`t bother with any trimmings.
So one satchet of soup made up and two steaks later i`m ready to taste. It was excellent to say the least, wonderful flavour and the soup was like a gravy.
I`ll definately be doing it again but properly next time. :)

mmmmm some godd ideas there Basil.....im just not a Stilton fan tho:(

but i took 5lbs of venison mince with 1lb of minced pork belly add a heap of spring onions blitzed in food processor and add in a big bloke of grated mature cheddar and mix and then make yer burgers!!!!

cheese and spring onion burgers.....could throw the mix into some sausage skins and slow cook en with yer cup o soup

ace!!!!

paul

...so I go to my local Montana grocery store. I ask the lady behind the counter,"Got any Stilton??" The manager shows up and accuses me of being a trouble maker and I have to leave the store.:D I guess I'll try my luck the next time I go to the city ....~Muir

Back