Burris fourX 3-12x50 Vs. S&B 8x56

MrMickeyD

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new scope to put on my .243 to replace the cheapo Redfield scope i bought last year (buy cheap, buy twice:oops:).

I have about £400 to £600 to play with, but £500 is preferable. I have looked at a few options and realise that i can have either high quality glass like a fixed S&B (8x56 30mm tube) or a variable zoom illuminated reticule, like the Burris fourX (3-12x56 30mm tube). But i cant decide which!!! Please help!!

My shooting includes lamping fox (hence the pref for 30mm tube and large objective) and woodland roe (meaning lower mag preferable?). Which of these should i go for, or can someone suggest something else - Meopta perhaps?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:
i use a burris fullfield 11 and love it ,i use mine for everything foxing at night and never had any problems i am getting another two burris scopes for other rifles ,i like the fullfields having the ballistic plex so i can use them at all ranges i use it on a 270 so recoil hasnt effected the zero at all ,the next ones will be going on another 270 and a 300 wim mag atb wayne
Burris Fullfield II Tact 4.5-14x42mm Rifle Scope ~Ballistic~ Olive Drab | eBay

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new scope to put on my .243 to replace the cheapo Redfield scope i bought last year (but cheap, buy twice:oops:).

I have about £400 to £600 to play with, but £500 is preferable. I have looked at a few options and realise that i can have either high quality glass like a fixed S&B (8x56 30mm tube) or a variable zoom illuminated reticule, like the Burris fourX (3-12x56 30mm tube). But i cant decide which!!! Please help!!

My shooting includes lamping fox (hence the pref for 30mm tube and large objective) and woodland roe (meaning lower mag preferable?). Which of these should i go for, or can someone suggest something else - Meopta perhaps?

Cheers

Mike

There are some good deals on Burris at the moment a brand that has always been in the shadow of Leupold but still a quality product. Your £500 will get you into the premium models.

Go for the S& B , no contest when compared to Burris. Meopta would be a good choice also.

Go for the S& B , no contest when compared to Burris. Meopta would be a good choice also.

even though fixed and non illuminated? the glass is that much better it makes up the loss in other departments? Also, really heavy lines on the S&B Reticule..
must admit though, the pic was crystal clear on the S&B when i tried it today!

Thanks for the comments on Burris guys

I can't comment on the Burris as I've never used one.

What I can say is with the S&B you will know that you have the best scope available on your rifle. I know that other scopes might have more features but when you add features you put less money into the glass so on a fixed budget you need to ask where your priority lies as you can have either top notch glass or lots of features that, in truth, you might never really need in the field.

I've shot deer with my 8X56 S&B at distances from 20 yards to 220 yards and have never found any problem with the scope.

I'm sure you are aware but the 30mm tube doesn't let more light in, it just gives more room in the tube which can be used to allow for more adjustment. I've no idea if S&B actually have additional adjustment on their 30mm scope but I suspect that unless you are shooting at things that are really very far away indeed you don't need it, though if you already have 30mm rings then it becomes important.

One other thing worth considering is that I bought my S&B second hand some time back and if I went to sell it today could probably ask more than what I paid for it. In terms of total cost of ownership you just can't beat the top notch glass, especially if you can get it second hand. With this in mind it might be worth looking at a second hand S&B and if you don't like it you can sell it again at little or no loss, in fact keep it a few years and you can turn a profit. I would be pretty certain you will not do that with Burris.

Back