Can I buy a Night vision scope in the UK without a Gun license?

I'm not in the UK, but I'm coming back to visit the folks and show off the new baby soon. I know some of the laws there are pretty crazy (perhaps rightfully so) compared to NZ, so I'm not sure if I can purchase a Pulsar N550 legally in the UK without a UK firearms license and so on, anyone happen to know?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need a license to buy scopes or NV over here mate.

Just make sure that the box is opened when you go back to NZ, or you may get stung for import duty!

Last edited:
No restrictions on Night vision equiptment in the UK, so the answer is yes, you can buy the Pulsar N550.

Tom

aslo worth checking if NZ is licensed and therefore yourself to hold the generation of NV you intend to purchase...

ie UK and US law dictates that GEN 1 and 2 optics are legal for civilian use however Gen 3 and above are still military grade and therefore illigal to purchase / own / aquire etc.

chris

aslo worth checking if NZ is licensed and therefore yourself to hold the generation of NV you intend to purchase...

ie UK and US law dictates that GEN 1 and 2 optics are legal for civilian use however Gen 3 and above are still military grade and therefore illigal to purchase / own / aquire etc.

chris

but there are loads on Gen3 scopes over here for sale openly
surely they can't all be illegal?

Just happened to spot this thread when looking up something else, so sorry for the dredge, however I felt it prudent to reply.

Anyone in the UK can buy a Night Vision weapon scope without a gun licence, the only issue is if you buy it and intend to remove it from the country.

Night Vision Weapon sights with image intensifiers are prohibited for export, even to neighbouring countries such as France and Ireland for example, unless you have an Export Licence to accompany the goods.

The Pulsar Digisight does NOT have an image intensifier, however as it is a weapon scope with a magnification greater than 4x, the same rules apply, an export licence is required in order to remove it from the country, used, new or otherwise. If the dealer you buy it from is aware that you intend to remove it from the country he/she is also breaking the law in supplying you.

The same applies believe it or not to a 6x42 £29.99 airgun scope, this is also prohibited for export as it falls under the same classification.

You can find out more here

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/eco/docs/control-lists/12-750-uk-military-list

And rating ML1D and ML15 applies to what we are discussing

Thanks for reading

Paul

Hi Paul,
Re . The same applies believe it or not to a 6x42 £29.99 airgun scope, this is also prohibited for export as it falls under the same classification.
I just read the link you supplied and could not decypher the ML under which that statement falls, can you clarify which chapter it is located under?
Thanks
Martin

Martin,

Is it not ML1 d. Silencers, "special gun-mountings", weapon sights, clips and flash suppressers forfirearms specified in ML1.a., ML1.b. or ML1.c.

Regards,

Martin

That covers the normal trade in hunting scopes? Then a Swaro may not be sent back to Austria for repair. What a sad country it has become "it is just homeland security job creation under another name".
Martinb

Back