20 hour trail with GWP

Dorset

Just a quick post to say that I've never done much on old trails with my 5 year old GWP, he's with me all the time whilst stalking so it would be very rare for him to have to follow a trail more than an hour old-he's mostly there for pointing unshot deer and a confidence booster for when you have a guest out who you've not seen shoot a deer before. A friend off here shot a roe doe last night which ran into a wood and his dog wasn't interested in the trail for some reason, no problem as he tracked it by the blood trail in the torch and found it dead so no worries, the shot had gone slightly low on a quartering deer. He rang me today to ask if I wanted the practice for my dog as the trail was nearing 100m in woodland and 20 hours old, I went up there, put him on at the strike spot and he took me straight to the end of the trail on a long lead flat out without the wind and in poor scenting conditions with no problems at all, nothing too amazing for all the people who use the continental methods of training on old trails but I was happy as it gives me even more confidence in a dog I already wouldn't be without, :D.

Here he is with a couple of munties:

2munty.jpg

And a couple of Roe:
hugo.jpg

nice one Ben cracking result with your dog hes coming along very well indeed
I see a future mating coming along
really good photos of him with the deer as well regards pete

Well done you've got a cracking looking dog and great worker by the sound of things, keep up the good work

Would like to download picture to put on deerdog display on my stand at the Gamekeepers Fair.
is that Ok?

That's a real good dog you have there Ben, and a good looking dog at that with a nice easy going nature. If you do allow Pete's bitch to have her wicked way with him I would certainly think seriously about buying one of the offspring.

Thanks for the positive replies everyone, he's a cracking dog and so laid back, unlike a lot of GWPs you see, he's not phased by anything, he certainly opens your eyes to a new dimension of stalking if you've never seen one work before. Help yourself Kit, you've already got one of him carrying a fox. Got a few more if you'd like them sending over?

20 hour trail

Hi Ben

Thought I'd seen him before.
Send some more over.
Most customers love the fox carrying one
Kit

lovely looking dog, how is he bred please - I have an old bitch, always interested for the future
Hi, thanks- he is from Mustwork in west wales although his pedigree is german on the sire's side (a lot of vom richtof), the dam's side is kimmax, wiggmansburg, cascob and norwegian and dutch lines including mogop's pinus-norwegian and swedish international champion. So he is quite well bred with a good mixture of blood I suppose.

Ben.

Beautiful looking dog, sounds like a good`un. Very nice colouring aswell. The picture of him standing over the Muntjac is just fabulous...

The more pictures of GWPs I see, the more I like them. One day maybe !!!!

All the best.

Neil.

Thanks for that, my bitch was from Kimmax, however they put a restriction on her. I thought we had agreed I could breed one litter when we shook hands, apparently not!!!!!!
I have heard this has happened with other GWP breeders as well. My mate has one off Chris Grays, trudvang which is an excellent bitch, works to the bringsel and does well on birds.

Nice dog mate and good right up I had 2 the other day in very tight cover way my teckel 1 took him a wile to find and he did the job again he's often found after returning and even the next day if it's been aquired to there a must a good dog and must be steady atb I seen a nice gwpx years ago it was a nice dog not all make the grade but when you've a goodone there's nothing better

Back