.270 ammo recommendation?

wildfowler.250

I was just wondering if I could get some recommendations on what .270 ammo would be best when I mainly shoot roe? I don't do a lot of stalking so I don't reload. The gun shoots the Norma 110 grain vmax bullets well and they hit hard but cause quite a lot of bruising rather than a massive exit hole,(even the last fox I shot at around 80 yards only had a golf ball sized exit hole).

Are there many 110 grain soft points on the market? I've tried RWS 130g soft points without much success. The Norma bullets are working great but I have some paid stalks booked in the summer and I'm slightly worried they won't be chuffed with the Ballistic tipped rounds?

Would just appreciate any recommended bullets. I know every rifle shoots differently but it's easier if you know what to try first.

ATB

Before I sold my Sauer mod 90 .270 (slightly regretting it now), it behaved impeccably with federal 130gn BT factory loads, and my .243 always liked federal too. Its been difficult to find locally for me so Im starting to learn the fine art of home loading and bullet wise leaning towards nosler partitions.
theres an excellent resource here
Terminal Ballistics Research
that you may want to have a look at.
personally, Ive not had problems with BT's as long as bullet placement is good. I suspect that most guides would rather see an animal properly down with a bit of shoulder damage than a runner but you could always phone them before hand and check what they feel about BT's if you're worried.

i liked remmington corelokt in 130 and 150 grain i didnt have any meat damage the bullets expanded really well and both shot to the same poi so that was a bonus,atb wayne

always stuck with Norma SP 130gn in factory for Roe and Red. minimal damage
never liked RWS but I had some bad carcase damage on the occasions I used the H Mantle cone point 150gn

I use 110 vmax on vermin and in the past on hinds, they make a hell of a mess of roe deer, I changed to rws 130 h mantel for deer and find they do the job but you have to hit a rib or they go staight threw and dont do much damage not a problem if you are accurate however if you are high or behind can mean to a long day tracking. carcass damage is as little as I have seen with a expanding bullet.

imho

Andy

I know leec on here has a particular passion for his 140gr - and I'm coming to that having used Norma 150gr SP's for a while now and seeing less meat damage with them than 130's - presumably because they're a little slower. Will certainly be slower than the 110's.....(but I do like 95gr for M. Reynard!)

Last edited:
I shot well over 100 roe with 130gr ballistic tips before having a change of calibre. The damage is acceptable and I never had any run far.

Corelokt Remington 130 grain always performed well.

My choice factory ammo is the Federal fusion 130 grain. It is also (at least used to be) a lot cheaper than other ammunition.

DC

for factory ammo i've found that federal power shocks 130 grain do the job , meat damage is minimum. and thay don't move far when hit.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try some 130g btips and see if the meat damage is less. Remington and federals seem popular.

The 110 grains drop them on the spot but the bruising around the shoulders is pretty horrendous. But then theres not that there's much on the front legs anyway so should I just stick with the Norma rounds?

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try some 130g btips and see if the meat damage is less. Remington and federals seem popular.

The 110 grains drop them on the spot but the bruising around the shoulders is pretty horrendous. But then theres not that there's much on the front legs anyway so should I just stick with the Norma rounds?

I would move up to 130gr regardless. 270's seem to shoot this weight better than others anyhow. You will always get bruising shooting roe through the shoulder with a .270 but you just have to decide if its acceptable damage or not. I wouldn't advocate taking risks in order to save meat but if you are confident in your shooting and you get close enough then take a neck shot. BTs do a great job of destroying the vertebrae and surrounding blood vessels.

WF250. any standard 130 gn soft point projectile will work well for your need. In my experience meat damage is a function of 3 factors, rapid projectile expansion that can be caused by light and or fragile projectiles - soft jackets that allow for very rapid expansion - usually 90 and 110 pills in the .270, hitting a major bone or joint in the shoulder/spine and having a mass of bone splinters destroy meat and tissue and lastly raking shots that tear through the carcass lengthwise as opposed to head, neck or through the ribs, heart lungs behind the shoulders leaving a mass of bloody gel and tissue goo.

150 gn projectiles in the .270 usually cause less damage as the jackets are harder and the velocity is lower. In my experience they tend to be slower killing, less transfer of energy before exiting on small deer / pigs. Deer size animals run more after the hit than for a 130.

In my .270 i like to stick with 130 gn projectiles but reload a sierra when wanting a soft projectile that opens up quick for small deer fallow, sika and a harder projectile like a nosler solid base or partition where i want better pentration on reds and big pigs. Both have similiar trajectory and require minimal or no scope adjustment.

Just been on macleods website as I'm needing to stock up. Can anyone tell me what the difference between the RWS 'H mantke' and 'T mantle' are? From memory I have tried one type of RWS bullets,(soft points 130g) and they didn't shoot great. Same for the Norma soft points. The 110 Norma vmaxs are ok so am I more likely to get better results with ballistic tipped bullets? The federal at roughly £30 a box isn't too bad but all the other stuff is fair expensive! Can't imagine Graham's will be much cheaper though. Makes you want to cry when you have to test different kinds of bullets and it's £50 a box!! Don't think that'll happen :cuckoo:

Thanks New Forest, I'll have a look for them! As I mainly shoot roe deer, I'm wondering if I am better of with the Btip bullets as the soft points might pass right through without a lot of damage?

hi wildfowler i shoot a 270 ,my ground is small only has roe . i use 130-150 grain never really had any bother. ballistic tips in 270 can do huge amount of damage to a roe front end unless neck shooting. if worried about damage go up to a 150 grain as speed is a little slower atb wayne

Thanks mereside! I'm personally happy with the 110vmax bullets. I have some stalking booked up end of May and I was just wondering if there would be an issue there,(I suppose the easiest answer is just to email the guide I am gong out with).

Thanks again for the reply! I'll give the 150's a go!

Back