Carrying Ammunition / mod Overseas

u32dw

Guys,

For those of you who have been overseas with your firearms / ammo, how did you carry your ammuntion / Mod? I have a flight case for my rifle but the mod won't fit in. Is it necessary to have a flight case for ammuntion too, i'm trying to keep the weight as low as possible

Any ideas would be great

I have never taken a moderator overseas, but if I did I would detach it and have it in my rifle case alongside the barrel. I have seen some reports showing photos of moderated rifles in South Africa, but can't recall seeing any from other countries. You would need to check that they are legal in the country you are travelling to. Check the airline rules, but ammunition can usually be packed in a container and placed in your checked-in baggage.

I use a small metal camera case and check it in with my rifle.
Most airlines allow 5kg for ammo and they travel with your rifle.
Put your mod in with your rifle.
Where are you going and who are you flying with?

DavieH

I use a small metal camera case and check it in with my rifle.
Most airlines allow 5kg for ammo and they travel with your rifle.
Put your mod in with your rifle.
Where are you going and who are you flying with?

DavieH

Hi Davie,

I am going to Namibia, and flying with air Namibia. I was planning on getting a Tuffpak box for both my ammo and mod, if it'll fit, if not then i'll put the MOD in my checked luggage. I've checked with the airline and they allow 5kg but can't tell me how they should be packed. I reckon i'll go with the tuffpak box to be on the safe side.

atb

Dave

I have a Tuffpak as it is all Blaser's that I am using (.243/300Win Mag and .375 H & H)
I can get the 3 barrels/stock and 3 scopes in no problem.
I use Pipe insulation foam round the barrels and place them in Plastic Document tubes, also my bins and a jacket for extra padding.
As I said ammo in camera case.
If your is the full hight Tuffpak if so you have no worries.

DavieH

Its worth checking that they mean 5kg incl the carrying case or 5kg of ammunition inside the case. We had a ridiculous situation a few years ago when the airline (BA I think) at Heathrow were insisting that our ammunition allowance was overweight (it wasn't). When we asked what they suggested we do, their bright idea was that we should give a couple of boxes of ammo to the armed policeman patrolling the concourse! Sense was finally seen when we weighed the ammunition seperate to the case and we went on our way.

cheers
Andy

Another thing you will have to contend with.
You are flying I take it from Aberdeen to Heathrow.
Both BA and BMI charge you for the privilage for taking your gun and ammo on board.
Something to do with insurance.
Last year going to South Africa it cost me £50:00 each way unless you are lucky and get a "rookie" to check you in.
If you have not done this trip before have all your paperwork at hand and offer to help them fill in the form and you might get away free from paying.
If I can help in any way before you go please just get in contact with me.

Cheers DavieH thats very good of you. I'm flying from Aberdeen to frankfurt then onto Windheok, Lufthansa then Air Namibia. It's been a fairly long process getting all the docs etc that are needed, but thankfully things have fallen into place, hope i haven't just gave it the kiss of death!! I'm just waiting on confirmation from the airlines as to how they would like ammo packed. I'm personally not taken any chances but some of the guys i'm going with seem to be happy using cash boxes or just having it loose in their check in baggage... I will just need to live with the fact that i will probably have several Kg's of excess baggage, but i suppose thats a small price to pay

thanks also to everyone else for their input, much appreciated

Im sure there was a condition of a secure container so loose in check in baggage may be a problem for your mates!

+1 with Andy C
It will have to be in something secure, also the size will be determind by the amount of animals you are taking x 2 for the amount of ammo.
Remember you will have to do a zero before you go out on the ground.
I only know Virgin's policies but not anybody elses.
I do not what you to think I am a know all but after the amount of trips I have been on you learn something every trip.
Do not go loaded with clothes, you will get a laundry service there.
I wear my bootS going,hunting and coming back.
Make out a list and where you can trim it down but not your essential hunting gear.
Whenever you are going I wish you a great hunt and let us know how you got on.
By the way is it a trophy hunt or a Management Cull??

DavieH

+1 with Andy C
It will have to be in something secure, also the size will be determind by the amount of animals you are taking x 2 for the amount of ammo.
Remember you will have to do a zero before you go out on the ground.
I only know Virgin's policies but not anybody elses.
I do not what you to think I am a know all but after the amount of trips I have been on you learn something every trip.
Do not go loaded with clothes, you will get a laundry service there.
I wear my bootS going,hunting and coming back.
Make out a list and where you can trim it down but not your essential hunting gear.
Whenever you are going I wish you a great hunt and let us know how you got on.
By the way is it a trophy hunt or a Management Cull??

DavieH

I plan on taking 100 rounds with me so i have plenty. I have never done this sort of thing before so i'm very greatful for all the tips and advice bud.

I had planned on taking the bare minimin of kit and, as you say i'll be wearing my heavy stalking boots to reduce weight. I've thought about the kit list and i have decided that i will ( hopefully ) get everything i need into my carry on allowance, other than wash / shave kit. and if it doesn't fit it aint going!

It's a trophy hunt, so I a reckon i'm looking at a Kudu, Gemsbuck and Zebra, all shoulder mount, although this is TBC depending on the cost... I have been target shooting alot recently to get used the trigger break etc but shooting off sticks is still a bit dodgy!!

We're off the beginning of April so not long now!!!

For my ammo i used one of those hard ABS plastic pistol cases that you get CO2 air pistols in, i was able to lock it with a standard little padlock. I put my moderator in that along with my knife as it was a small (jet z compact) mod. As others have said, wear mostly what your going hunting with on the way there and you should be able to have everything else in your carry on luggage but please be aware that some African countries have a ban on anyone wearing camoflauge in public. Most airlines like the bolt out of the rifle but still in the same case. British Airways charge £50 per item each way, as in £50 for rifle case and £50 for ammo box and yet when i landed at Heathrow from Newcastle on a recent boar trip to Croatia my ammo case was lost until it came round the luggage carousel, so £100 for a crap service. Not trying to horrify you but once when coming back from S/Africa i landed at Manchester a few days after the Cumbrian shootings and waited at customs for my rifle and low and behold it was not on the plane, it had been left in S/Africa. I took 60 rounds to S/Africa and used 8 rounds. I'm not saying you would only use 8 rounds but its easy to get carried away with too much of ammo. Anyway let us all know how you get on as i'm supposed to be going to Namibia in july.

U32dw,

Dont know if your sorted for your luggage but if you need a loan of a peli case for ammo/expensive items like optics drop me a PM, I have one about the size of a slab of 250 shotgun cartridges.

Mick

I plan on taking 100 rounds with me so i have plenty. I have never done this sort of thing before so i'm very greatful for all the tips and advice bud.

I had planned on taking the bare minimin of kit and, as you say i'll be wearing my heavy stalking boots to reduce weight. I've thought about the kit list and i have decided that i will ( hopefully ) get everything i need into my carry on allowance, other than wash / shave kit. and if it doesn't fit it aint going!

It's a trophy hunt, so I a reckon i'm looking at a Kudu, Gemsbuck and Zebra, all shoulder mount, although this is TBC depending on the cost... I have been target shooting alot recently to get used the trigger break etc but shooting off sticks is still a bit dodgy!!

We're off the beginning of April so not long now!!!

You will love it mate and be hooked.
My days of trophies are over with the exception of a buffalo.
Taxidermy and the cost of getting your trophies home cost a fortune.
I do Management hunts where I can shoot 3 or 4 species with numbers up to 20 plus.
Again enjoy yourself and if you do not have specific gear contact me and I will help you out before you go.
PM me an email address and contact number.

ATB

DavieH

Back