My new larder/cutting room......taking shape

Every man needs a shed! Bit worried by the heavy breathing, but looks very smart. A real shame you couldn't somehow connect the rail straight through from the chiller to the cutting shed!

Martyn nice set up but again worried that the blow dryer has come out of a public toilet and with the heavy breathing would the camera man be from the same place.

Just wondering, how many deer a year are you planning to process,real nice set up better than the game dealer I go to.

Nice job! (Also enjoyed watching your other videos)
I assume you can process up to 300 deer a year in there.
Mine doesnt look anything like that but it has been approved by the EHO.
Cheers
Richard

A really nice set up do a presentation and walk and talk next time and get the missus to hold the camera that would be good. nice job of the set up really liked it.

Nice job! (Also enjoyed watching your other videos)
I assume you can process up to 300 deer a year in there.
Mine doesnt look anything like that but it has been approved by the EHO.
Cheers
Richard

There is no top number of Deer it goes on tonnage Richard,but the tonnage is somewhat of a grey area in itself as most things seem to be.

Martin

There is no top number of Deer it goes on tonnage Richard,but the tonnage is somewhat of a grey area in itself as most things seem to be.

Martin
I assume you are talking about AGHE, i was referring to 'small quantities' less than 300/year, but these must be culled by me or from a hunting party i am in at the time.

I just read your previous thread, so i can see you are dealing on a larger scale.
You will do well, i took a red to my dealer last week and he said demand is out stripping supply.

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Martin's Cutting Room

Martin

Its looking good mate, you must be pretty much ready to go with it I guess?

If you keep it small & managable its great, its when you start to grow with the processing that the FSA start to become involved & then you will need a bigger cheque book I warn you!

They just love making you spend your money our friends at the FSA!

Best Wishes Lee

Martyn nice set up but again worried that the blow dryer has come out of a public toilet and with the heavy breathing would the camera man be from the same place.

I got the dryer from a hotel kitchen Davey,and I do the Darth Vader imitation I'm afraid,since breaking my ribs in the crash and not being able to take my inhalers properly and getting a nasty chest infection my asthma got pretty bad,but,it has got a lot better believe it or not.

Martin

I assume you are talking about AGHE, i was referring to 'small quantities' less than 300/year, but these must be culled by me or from a hunting party i am in at the time.

I just read your previous thread, so i can see you are dealing on a larger scale.
You will do well, i took a red to my dealer last week and he said demand is out stripping supply.

Cheers
Richard

The 300 a yr is an anomaly as it just doesn't exist mate,I think your EHO might be a bit confused.Check out the top of this list Richard...........

Search Results

The 300 a yr is an anomaly as it just doesn't exist mate,I think your EHO might be a bit confused.Check out the top of this list Richard...........

Search Results
I have found this which states the amount under hunter exemption condition is self limiting http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide0611.pdf as you say, no mention of 300 deer per year or less, but i suppose what it means is an individual supplying venison under the hunter exemption would find it difficult to cull 300 deer in a year.
But i also found this http://www.bds.org.uk/new_game_meat_laws.html which states small game less than 300 deer per year.
The problem arises only when venison is bought from a 3rd party, then as you know its AGHE, many more conditions then apply.
The top link you refer to states 'guidance to EHO, which should run in parallel to European regulation, i cant' find anything that relates to tonnage, am i missing something?
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Aghe

Richard

It all comes down to staying exempt as long as you are within the criteria, as soon as you take any bodies other than shot by yourself or by a party shooting party that you run then you are no longer in the eyes of the FSA or EU 852 trading exempt.

Now weather they get around to doing anything about it is another matter as half the indoustry is trading outside of this directive of which they are very aware.

In my eyes if you are purchasing (such as we do), bodies from known local stalkers & estates in addition to the Forestry Commission which are all hunter ID tagged, logged & stored in their own chilled storage prior to us picking them up then why should we then have to pay £47.50 an hour plus vat for some MHS inspecter/vet to come & check waht has already be checked off as OK to enter the food chain.

I just dont see an extra £200/£300 a week in non productive costs as good value.

Due to the fact that I run a stalking syndicate this has not been deemed a shooting party by the FSA either as I am not there all of the time when the beasts are field dressed, even though they are all Hunter ID'd by the stalker & I give then a final check at larder-this is not exempt in their own eyes even though all deer in this respect come from my own ground.

Its a minefield! Just trade exempt as long as you can & do the fullest possible job with the HACCP & Records.

Regs Lee
(Newhouse Game)

As you state Lee, its a minefield, but i keep it simple, i only deal in my own venison and sell it locally.
But there is a market out there, my total cost to meet the regs cost me less than £500, money well spent.
Cheers
Richard

Back