Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Magnum

.22 Magnum

can any one tell me what would be a goo second hand 22 magnum to start with

ah , a much underated gun , try a ruger

CZ or Anschutz, tried them both, both accurate, the Annie was better finished, the CZ just had the edge on accuracy.

Get a CZ. I have seven 22WMR's and my CZ 452 American will pretty much outshoot all of them with ammo it likes. (Ok. My son has a mutant Marlin 882SSV that will shoot with it!) Don't clean it often and give it a box or two of any given ammo before you pronounce accuracy judgments. Here are a couple targets for your appraisal.~Muir

50 meters, 5 shots.

Ten shots, 100 yards, resting on top of a camera tripod.

there ya go scooby , Muir would know , the 22 mag is used over there alot more

Some do. Many still use the 17HMR and most use 22LR. I shoot a lot of .22LR and of course, have the 5mm Remington Magnum as well as the 22WMR.

I have fond memories of shooting ground squirrels on the Mexican border with 17HMR. I found this while looking for the 22WMR targets. I hope you don't mind me putting it up. It's my son, Andy, then about 16 years old, posing with a ground squirrel he shot. He could only see the top bit of the squirrel in the alfalfa stubble and waited 35 minutes for the perfect shot. The rifle is a Ruger 77/17, rebarreled soon after with a custom barrel. The van in the background was where we were shooting from. It was 128 F degrees that day. It was one of the last times we had really good ammo for the HMR. I switched to 22WMR that summer. Those were good times. (Isn't that so, Marine?)

To give you an idea of how small these vermin are, this is a fat one with a Federal 30 grain HP round next to its head for scale. This one was hit at 110 yards. It's insides are under him! That Federal round is my favorite.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 14-03-2012 at 05:20.

Try Sako Quad, Mine required a few tunning to become a real shooter. You can actually shoot rabbits in the 50 - 150m range without effort with the taper sport barrel.

I have the quad in wmr.
    eats anything I feed it and groups around an inch at 130yds

guaranteed ! I feed it with 40 gr cci maxi mag, My best shot, measured with rangefinder a confirmed kill at 187m
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have the quad in wmr.
    eats anything I feed it and groups around an inch at 130yds

My Savage Striker bolt action pistol will shoot under MOA with several different kinds of ammo. The Remington 33 grain ballistic tip is very accurate. This same ammo took a rabbit from my CZ at 175 yards with our own JAYB calling the range.

I have found that 22WMR ammo is remarkably consistent, LOT to LOT. The Federal 30 grain "Classic" load with a roll-plated lead HP will clock 2340 fps in 75-degee (F) heat. CCI V-Max will to the same. Ther Federal load is perhaps my favorite load. I cut a cotton-tail rabbit in half at 90 yards with that load. I have legally killed a deer with CCI 40 grain solids. People just don't give the 22WMR much of a chance.~Muir