Scottish stalker wages

pilgrimmick

Hello
A friend asked me how much would a head stalker on a Scottish estate earn? I had to say, I don't know. Feel a bit awkward asking the ones I know so thought I would ask here.

How much do you and your "friend" earn? That is very private and why should anyone place such a question on a public forum never mind expect an honest answer...

40K and 32K
If people do not wish to answer they will not, however if they do then I look forward to hearing from them.
Many people, especially those in the public sector have their wages published, for example it is easy to find out how much a policeman can earn.
I take it I will not be getting a helpful reply from you.
Thank you for viewing my post, but please keep unhelpful answers to yourself.

"Thank you for viewing my post, but please keep unhelpful answers to yourself".

Fine by me but why should anyone declare on a public forum what they earn in total?

Does it not usually come as a package?
cottage, bills paid, insurance, car etc.... I'd take a drop in wages for the lifestyle.

£18,000 to £35,000 depending on many factors such as size of estate, number of staff under him, landowners wealth, other duties etc. A lot also depends on how much the Head Stalker was willing to negotiate at the time he was employed as this is often the only chance he will get to influence his own salary. He will generally get a house rent and poll tax free but, again, this may vary from a cave to a mansion. A vehicle will generally be provided; it is normally acceptable to use this for a sensible amount of private mileage. Often work will be found for his partner.

Those are the things that are not really confidential as they can generally be found in job adverts or application packs. What is more personal is the fact that many Stalkers have certain other benefits/tips/opportunities etc; this is their business not ours.

Hope that this helps.

Glyn.

Si
Yes I believe it does.
I was just looking for a ball park figure, as with a lot of 'lifestyle' jobs the actual pay is quite low. I know that in agriculture many actually work below the minimum wage once you take into account all the extra hours worked for free.

£18,000 to £35,000 depending on many factors such as size of estate, number of staff under him, landowners wealth, other duties etc. A lot also depends on how much the Head Stalker was willing to negotiate at the time he was employed as this is often the only chance he will get to influence his own salary. He will generally get a house rent and poll tax free but, again, this may vary from a cave to a mansion. A vehicle will generally be provided; it is normally acceptable to use this for a sensible amount of private mileage. Often work will be found for his partner.

Those are the things that are not really confidential as they can generally be found in job adverts or application packs. What is more personal is the fact that many Stalkers have certain other benefits/tips/opportunities etc; this is their business not ours.

Hope that this helps.

Glyn.

£35k!!!! a small minority!

£16 - £22K

Many Estates are going down the line of charging rent and excluding bills due to the tax man and his hatred of add ons!

Glyn
Many thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers

No worries but Bambislayer makes a valid point in that £35,000 would be right at the top end and only apply to a handfull of posts. I was trying to cover the full range. There are alot of variables in both job specs and salary packages so its not easy to compare. Glyn.

Yes, like anything, when a top salary is shown it is almost impossible to get.
Realistically 20K or thereabouts.

I think alot depends on where you are in the country , duties , responsibilities ect. But a range between 14k -18k-26k plus house,phone ,fuel and use of a vehicle . These are vewed as perks and are taxed via a P11D form. I seem to recall that the perks house /vehicle were thought to equate to approx £6k per annum for tax purposes. No doubt some individuals maybe on considerably more. The real killer is the opt-out of the working time directive which most keepers/shepherds/ farmers jobs require. Never tally your daily hours worked, weekends and non taken holidays . I suspect most of us would be earning well below the minimum wage for a school leaver. That said few would really want to do any other form of work but it would be nice to have wages left at the end of the month rather than month left at the end of the wages!

People who are paid by the taxpayer might reasonably expect their salaries to be published so that the taxpayer knows what they are paying for. Also don't quote the police as it seems from the Leveson enquiry, there do appear to be other "fringe" benefits!

David.

Back