Best scope

Clover

Now I know that this is a bit of a wide question, but I am new to stalking and not yet shot my first deer. I am an experienced shot of many years with pest/vermin and shotgun sports but have only ever shot competition full bore rifles on open sights. I own a Sako AV in 30.06. it came with a low power KASSNAR Beta 3 scope ( 6x42) and was used, I am led to believe for Wild Boar by the previous owner. My main quarry will be Roe and Fallow from High seat and Woodland stalking. I know the argument about get the best you can afford etc which I totally agree with, but I would like some honest opinions (purchase bias accepted) on what any of you chaps/chapesses use. ie make and magnification. (Not too much technical detail as I am a beginner). All comments will be appreciated.

Chris:confused:

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is no "best scope" as your budget will dictate what you buy. As said many times before buy the best quality you can.
Based on what you have said you'll use it for, you wont go wrong with an S&B 8x56 or equivalent Zeiss, Swaro etc...the list goes on. S&B will set you back maybe £350- £400 for a second hand example, great in low light and straight forward to use, point and shoot!

Agreed, no best scope, all have advantages.
I would go for a fixed magnification, 6x42 or 8x56. Make it by one of the good names, S&B, Leupold, Swarovsli etc. Second hand is fine if your happy it is in good nick.
I have a S&B 8x56, it is top notch.

Scopes are all down to personal preference and budget. For me, 6x42 is fine for woodland stalking out to 200 yards,others not. The more you spend the clearer view you get , particularly at either end of the day. Go to a gunshop and look through a few scopes. Make your own mind up . I personaly like Meopta scopes, the MeoPro 4-12x50 for £350 is very good value. Zeiss Duralyt ,Meopta Meostar range for around £600 also excellent. If you have more to spend Swaroski and Schmidt Bender come into play. I started with a S/H 4x40 Tasco, the deer still died.

Hi Clover
I have tried a few scopes over the years, and approx ten year's ago i bought a Swarovski 8 x 56 and never looked back, it has been on .243, .270 and now it's on my .223, brilliant scope, and you can pick up some good second hand ones for £400-£500.
It's the same old story it's up to what your budget will go to?
I myself think how many will you go through before your happy? so i went for the top end and i am very happy.
ATB
Wullie.

There is nothing wrong with your Beta 3, its made by Pecar in West Berlin and they are excellent scopes although the lens coatings are a bit on the soft side so be carefull if you clean it. ( I think if you look it will have a serial number engraved on it). Quality German make. It might be worth having the parallax re set to 100yds if it was originally sold as a air rifle scope(25 yds) but its not difficult to do.

Optically it will be very comparable to most top end makes, I have a 3-9x42 Beta 3 on my S100 air rifle and would never part with it.

ATD

D

Suggest you don't worry to much about it at present.

General concencus on here is the 8x56 S@B is the benchmark.

The new Zeiss range are absolutely excellent.

Suggest you get to look through a few in field consitions and then make up your mind.

Just bought a 2nd hand S&B, but was tempted by the Minnox, very clear, also have a Vortex, great glass for the cash. Just some others to think about, but big 3 are that for a reason

Hi i had a s/b 6x42 on my 243 and found it very good in low light, i also use 6x42 and 7x56 Khales. I found these mag scopes suited my eyes better in low light. Atb Woodydog.

Clover,

I have an 8 x 56 Hungarian S&B on one of my rifles. If you're thinking about one or would like to compare it with what you've got your welcome to look at mine. I'm near Burton.

Cheers,

Bob

HI there clover we are a zeiss testing center if u would like to come and try some of there scopes ur welcome to pop over and see us and wel show u a few plus we have second hand scopes in stock ur welcome to look at mate were in ashbourne derbyshire or look at are web site for more details
all the best
calton moor range

I too use an 8X56 S&B and have shot deer from 20 yards to 220 yards with it no problem. I use it both in forestry, from high seats and on the hill. If you buy a good S&B, Zeiss or Swaro second hand then in a few years you will be able to sell it for more than you paid for it so the cost of owning good glass can be almost zero.

In terms of the best scope then there is no doubt in my mind that the best one I've ever looked through was a Nickel. They only sell direct and don't do the big marketing thing but if you have the cash then you'd be mad not to take a look at one.

+1 on the S&B 8x56, BUT if your budget can get there you would be well set up if you went for a Nightforce NXS i belive they are the best scope you can buy. Just incase you are thinking about the price you can pick one up for £1000 second hand.

Happy Shooting!!

+1 on the S&B 8x56, BUT if your budget can get there you would be well set up if you went for a Nightforce NXS i belive they are the best scope you can buy. Just incase you are thinking about the price you can pick one up for £1000 second hand.

Happy Shooting!!
I agree with the nightforce I have the 8-32-56 nxs on my 7mm-284 it's great. Well worth the money

Scopes are all down to personal preference and budget. For me, 6x42 is fine for woodland stalking out to 200 yards,others not. The more you spend the clearer view you get , particularly at either end of the day. Go to a gunshop and look through a few scopes. Make your own mind up . I personaly like Meopta scopes, the MeoPro 4-12x50 for £350 is very good value. Zeiss Duralyt ,Meopta Meostar range for around £600 also excellent. If you have more to spend Swaroski and Schmidt Bender come into play. I started with a S/H 4x40 Tasco, the deer still died.

+ 1 Meopta :thumb:

I am a bit of a novice but put two 6-24x50 swarovskis on my 243 and 308. They do everything from target to woodland roe and hill for reds.

I abuse them but love them. They broke the bank but will never break my heart. Get the best you can afford.

Clover, here is what i would consider in selecting your scope for your sako and how you want to use it considering the type of shooting you will be doing. If you have one centefire hunting rifle it must be versatile. Stalking in woodlands you want lower power and wide field of view for quick target acquisition and or a running shot at least where I have hunted in Aust. US, and NZ. Plus you are carrying your rifle alot and shooting standing a may not want a 32 oz (1.5 kg NF NXS ) over balancing a hunting rifle. I have a nxs on my LR rifle and it is a bit of a pig for balance but is great for a 500 m + target on a bipod. High seat use may mean a longer shots and a bit more magnification is nice for that. How much magnification? In my opinion and experience a top end of 9-10 x is enough to get you comfortably shooting out to 350m. For stalking i like to have my rifle set at 3 - 5 x depending on the thickness of the brush. The stock on the sako is not in my opinion designed with a high enough comb to support your face if you mount a 56 mm objective scope on it with out building up the stock with additional cheek piece and comb. I like to stick with a 42 mm obj. but can do a 50 mm in very low mounts. A 42mm in a good make (like zeiss, swaro, kahles...) pulls in plenty of light at dawn and dusk. Have a try of other folks set ups if you can before buying. A 3-10 x 42 swaro or 3-9 x 42 kahles would work well for you. A good 6 x 42 is not a bad compromise.

Hi Bob I would appreciate that as I am only in Woodville PM me your phone no. I have a busy one next week but ok after that as I am back and forth to Dovegate.

Chris

Back