Dsc 1

wildfowler.250

Just a really quick question, how much does the level one cost and how far in advance does it have to be booked?

Would I be too late to try and squeeze it into mid/end of may? I'm thinking post uni exams and before the resits :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Wildfowler.

I paid £290 for my DSC1 and in my experience they are booked up around a month and a half before the course begins in the South West from what I've seen. My course starts on the 20th of April and only has two places left on the course.

I think if one is available for the middle/end of May near to where you live and it isn't showing "Fully booked/Sold out" or whatever on the BASC website then send off your forms and cheque and you should get a place.

REMEMBER: You MUST be a full existing member of BASC to take part in a DSC1 course. This costs around £20-£40 for the year depending on your age and can be done online.

Cheers!

Hi there Wildfowler.

I paid £290 for my DSC1 and in my experience they are booked up around a month and a half before the course begins in the South West from what I've seen. My course starts on the 20th of April and only has two places left on the course.

I think if one is available for the middle/end of May near to where you live and it isn't showing "Fully booked/Sold out" or whatever on the BASC website then send off your forms and cheque and you should get a place.

REMEMBER: You MUST be a full existing member of BASC to take part in a DSC1 course. This costs around £20-£40 for the year depending on your age and can be done online.

Cheers!

Thanks very much! I'm a BASC member so at least that's something. £290 is pretty steep but I guess I'll have to do it at eventually anyway. Shame you can't just go straight onto the level 2 but I guess it's a money making thing.

Cheers again!

Thanks very much! I'm a BASC member so at least that's something. £290 is pretty steep but I guess I'll have to do it at eventually anyway. Shame you can't just go straight onto the level 2 but I guess it's a money making thing.

Think there's about £50 for the DMQ papers and marking etc. That means you are paying £60 for each day. If you've ever put a meeting on you'll soon realise how much room hire etc costs. I'm actually amazed how cheap it all is. I recently did a 3 day course that cost £900 plus accommodation..........

The cheap option is assessment only. Self study. That's what I did.

Thanks for the reply Apache,

I thought it was just a 1 day course? I was just planning to read the manual they send out,(self study like you mentioned) and then do the test. The BASC website seems to talk more about how it is a course for novices than what is actually in the test :rolleyes:

Am I correct in thinking it is Multi Choice paper, shooting at something like 3 distances at less than 100 yards,(are any free hand??) and a safety test?

My only other question was that the first date basc seem to list is in October? Does that sound correct?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm skimming throught the BASC website but it's always helpful to hear from people who have done it!

Ignore the above...it's total rubbish.

Where are you based Wildfowler? There are lots of DSC1 courses going on around the country that are not organised directly by BASC.

Check out some of the site sponsors. I am doing mine in Cumbria over the weekend of 25th May if that is anywhere near you?

Hi Wildfowler.250.

I studied at home then took the one day test with Dave Stretton at Castle Donnington, and that process started a great journey for me which resulted in the website I now provide. It is www.dsctraining.org and is specifically designed so that you can learn the theory and identification parts of the DSC 1. It has all of the questions from the DSC and over 100 deer identification slides as well as the safety advisory questions. There's additional reading in the form of the best practice guides and I'm adding youtube video clips to it now as well. You can log in and study as often as you want and the questions are broken down into various short lessons. People are using this to study at home before taking the one day test, or for additional learning material if going on a three day course.

A word of caution though... how much experience do you have of handing rifles and shooting accurately? These are issues which remote learning cannot teach you and which are essential when taking the DSC. If you need more experience in these areas then I should consider doing either a three day course, or do some of the one day "rifle familiarisation" type of courses which Jelen or BASC do in addition to you home studies Obviously though, my site can help you with the theory whichever route you take.

Well done that man for asking the pertinent questions, and good luck with your test whenever you take it

Regards, Steve

Tikka said:
Ignore the above...it's total rubbish.

Where are you based Wildfowler? There are lots of DSC1 courses going on around the country that are not organised directly by BASC.

Check out some of the site sponsors. I am doing mine in Cumbria over the weekend of 25th May if that is anywhere near you?

From what he was talking about, I figured he was referencing a DSC1 course in mid-May which is on the BASC website as he gave no other details so I figured this is what he was on about.

I know you can do DSC courses elsewhere, but since he referenced a time which corresponds with an existing BASC course, I took a gamble that he was talking about that and yes, to do it with BASC you do have to be a full BASC member which costs about that price.

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm N/E Scotland, so was hoping I could do it somehwere fairly locally if possible. Have been stalking for a few years and shooting for 12 years so I should be ok on the safety aspects. I didn't realise BDS did the course as well so I will look into that.

I mentioned in another thread that the main reason I intend to do this is with a view to leasing FC land but that doesn't seem such a great idea anymore,(shot out ground, unrealistic cull targets ect). Howver it can't hurt to get the qualificaions done.

DSC Trainer, that website sounds great! I'll defo give it a look!

Cheers again!

i wouldnt worry too much about the fc ground aspect ,there seems to be plenty of decent ground available and you are not just limited to fc there is tillhill ,and fountains to go at. i studied at home as time away from work is hard as i want most of my free time for stalking it is good value to do the 3-4 day course but i felt i had enough experience to study at home and pass which i did.
i read a couple of questions wrong and overall got 4 wrong with 100% on the recognition . i used the book from donnington deer services as well as a recognition cd to brush up . there are some good learning sites out there as well so you can do it cheaper ,atb wayne

The stalking school are near you in Moray. I've been out on stalks with Andy when up there and had a great time (Morayoutfitters on here). I have read that people have gained a great deal from the course with them.

I am doing mine with Jelen this weekend but hope very much to book a day out with Andy again this year.

If you're that confident, one of the the local course providers may offer you an 'assessment only' option - one day of the assessment - just rock up and take it - will get the cost down to around £150 ish I'd imagine. As the others have said, try Moray, Barony, Stalking School or one of the others in the area. Word of caution though - providers tend not to like this as they have no control over your preparation - be really sure you know your stuff. Miss the once and you'll have paid for the equivalent of the full course where you'd have got the assistance.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Hi, BASC have a DSC1 course running in early October at Trochry (Scotland) Is that near you at all?

If you earn up to £22k I can get you a £200 grant towards a level 1 course with us. I can put a course on anytime even for just one guy which I do now and again if you wanted to travel to SW scotland to do it, accom from £35/night with full breakfast and some stalking thrown in fri/sat evening for free. The course costs are £95 if you get the grant or £295 without it. Just a thought...

If you earn up to £22k I can get you a £200 grant towards a level 1 course with us. I can put a course on anytime even for just one guy which I do now and again if you wanted to travel to SW scotland to do it, accom from £35/night with full breakfast and some stalking thrown in fri/sat evening for free. The course costs are £95 if you get the grant or £295 without it. Just a thought...
top bloke,will help any way he can,havent a bad thing to say about guy

My word! Im tempted to do mine again!!

Top offer!

Back