"bell" mounted scopes - questions

bewsher500

Have been offered an old Zeiss scope that has an integral mount (dovetail I think) stuck on the bell of the objective end.
does anyone know if these are integral and if they can be:
a) removed
b) easily mounted, I am assuming with little used and rare mounts!

Have been offered an old Zeiss scope that has an integral mount (dovetail I think) stuck on the bell of the objective end.
does anyone know if these are integral and if they can be:
a) removed
b) easily mounted, I am assuming with little used and rare mounts!

There were a whole series of Zeiss 'scopes produced in the 1920's - 1930's - fixed-power models Zielveir, Zielsech, Zielacht, and variable Zeilmulti/multar .... some of which had Suhl claw mounts on the objective.

They had a variety of rear mount arrangements - some had centre rail mounts (windage/elevation dials on top of the tube), and others (with standard-postion turrets) had a smaller rear claw also with a dovetail end. This lifted out and snapped back in to the rear bridge retaining mount. a bit like the current EAW rear mount base.

The front claw is semi-circular, and terminates in a dovetail, which moves laterally in a barrel-mounted raised base - for very coarse adjustment.

The 6x Zielsechs were the most common, and installed on the K98 for use by German snipers. As far as I know the semi-circular open claw is soldered to the objective bell, so is removable. The tube should be 26mm.

A PIC WOULD HELP IF YOU CAN DO :cry:

That's a railed 'scope in an EAW clamp swing mount. The objective has an alternative rail attachment for a break-open drilling.

That's quite a modern setup, so not the old claw mount I thought you meant. Sorry.

that is not the exact item to be honest, just a pic I found of something similar.

I just wanted to know if there is a way I could potentially remove the rail and objective mounting point so as not to have to sell a kidney to buy Apel or EAW mounts!

Ah..... your original post didn't mention the 'scope had a rail too. :doh:

The rail is an integral part of the tube, so non-removable. There isn't usually enough of the circular section of tube fore and aft of the base rail to fit standard rings .... even if the inter-ring gap happened to match up.... unlikely.

Don't forget that Zeiss do action-attachable claw mounts to clamp to the rail .... if you want a fixed setup.

next question...

what would you expect to pay for a:
6x42 Diatel
or a
1.5-6x32 Diavari
or a
8x56 Diatel

no pressure!

Back