Thread: Nickel Scopes

Nickel Scopes

I was looking at another threat today and noticed a mention of Nickel scopes. I've looked on their website. Apparently they don't advertise or market their stuff much and the don't go through retailers. This is supposed to keep the costs down.

They do look the part, but they seem to be eye wateringly expensive compared with the top German and Austrian makes. For example, their non illuminated 6 x 42 is 1200 euros. An illuminated 8 x 56 is 1800 euro and the illuminated 3 - 12 x 56 is 2230 euro.

I guess the exchange rate doesn't help at the moment, but I wonder if people use them in the UK. If so, are they that much better than the equivalent S&B, Zeiss or Swaro?

I have two, an 8x56 and a 6x46, also a Hungarian S & B, personally I think they are better than the S&B. The S&B almost seems to have a very slight yellow tint to it. I can not comment on other makes though.

One night I did manage to knock my rifle over, this was in the house, it landed squarely on top of the scope. This on a laminated floor, it had only moved two inches of zero, wether it was luck or down to the set up, I don't know. And I don't intend to try it again.

I have had them a few years they were not much more than other makes back then IIRC.

Hope this helps a bit.

I was lucky enough to have one on loan from JLS of Wednesbury, a 3-12x56 ill ret. Supra for review, in 2004, how time flies. It was a comparison against other illuminated reticle scopes admittedly the opposition only consisted of Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50, S&B Zenith 3-12x50 and Meopta Artemis 2100 3-12x50. The Nickel trounced all the other scopes in all departments except turrets, the Nickel ones are basic coin slot type which should have no place on such a pricey scope IMHO. If they were the same price as Schmidt then I would have the Nickel.

They are, in my view and according to the measured performance, better than the others you mention but in the end you have to decide on the value for money equation. Try and find someone who owns one and take a look through it and see what you think. Test it in low light.

The other thread was asking about the best scope and so far the Nickel is the best I've seen. I have a second hand S&B as for me that is where the price/performance graph reaches the optimum for my personal use - spending the extra cash on a Nickel would give me a better scope but I have very, very limited application for the improvements over my S&B.

I have a 8x56 nickel and a s/b 8x56 the nickel to my eyes is clearest of the two . DF