Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackgrouse

I have never had a good view of a Blackgrouse, and the few I have seen have generally been greyhens in flight. Thursday morning I was at in a highseat when a mixed covey of six flew straight overhead, following that there was alot of calling going on from a couple of hundred meters behind me, just on the open moor. I guessed they were lekking and seriously considered going for a look but though I was there to shoot deer so left the birds be.

A couple of hours later and driving back through the forest (deer less) this little beauty was stood on the road, I managed a few photos after he walked off the tarmac and decided to pose:

zoomed in abit :

one more as he goes into the trees:

Nice views of this magnificent bird, unfortunately they have been extinct around here for several hundred years. atb Tim

had 6 cock birds fly over me a few years back when I was out stalking which was great to see there are not that many round my area

Two years ago i was out with 5 friends shooting on one of the guys moor, a couple of guys walked a small wet wood through to us, a blackcock and 2 greyhens flew over me and were very shootable.
    It never entered my head to lift the guy, i hope they are still there with a few offspring.
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

we have a few near me. About 5 years ago i was loading for an gun on the moor who had had very little sport all day in the butts,
    and as the beaters horn went for no shooting forward a grey hen came flying past us and the gun swung around and downed it behind us!!! he was not too happy when he got a 100 fine of the keeper after the drive and he was not keen to tip that day? (His guns did not get much of a clean that day i can tell you)

I was out grouse counting with my Large Munsterlander on a moor in Wales and counted 17 black cocks, 6 grey hens (as well as a 17 red grouse). The Males looked liked they were all there in the same area ready for the Lek but the Grey Hens weren't ready yet! I managed a snap of one flying back over me from one of the others in the line. Absolutely stunning birds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080232 cropped.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	13634

Few years back I had two standing at the side of the road near Glen Etive. I just stopped the motoe about twenty feet away and watched them for a couple of minutes. They were not bothered by the car, but as soon as I opened the door they were off. Stunning!

Plenty around Royal Deeside but Caper' are pretty thin on the ground now. I suspect they are inbreeding and will become extinct despite palings on the deer fences. Vermin (winged) and climate most probably

Dont want to get into a big debate, but the Deeside pine woodlands are not in good nick, however the edges are, hence healthy Bk numbers and declining caper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1037212.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	13641

now I haven't been in Scotland all my life, nor in the UK for that matter, so let me ask - was there a time years ago when black grouse was 'game'?