South Yorkshire

Pirate hunter

Hi, all

Does anyone know of any stalking in,around the Doncaster area I know there's not vast amounts of deer. I know there is roe and red not to far from me but I have never heard of any opportunities.
I know it's a long shot but its worth a try. I would be very thankful for any info.

Regards Andy

Hi, all

Does anyone know of any stalking in,around the Doncaster area I know there's not vast amounts of deer. I know there is roe and red not to far from me but I have never heard of any opportunities.
I know it's a long shot but its worth a try. I would be very thankful for any info.

Regards Andy
Obviously I wish you good luck but I think you will be very lucky,we spent a day driving round looking for permission recently and while most people we spoke to were polite,I got the impression that I might as well look for hens teeth,we did however meet with one good response at another location we visited,but keep at it mate, you never know.

Obviously I wish you good luck but I think you will be very lucky,we spent a day driving round looking for permission recently and while most people we spoke to were polite,I got the impression that I might as well look for hens teeth,we did however meet with one good response at another location we visited,but keep at it mate, you never know.
If you don't mind me asking was it around Doncaster you went?

Same here lads, Brodsworth and the other estates out my way are all stalked and managed mostly in-house. But then again my southern accent doesn't do me any favours (as I donta speaka de lingo) most farmers say no as soon as they hear me....my mate (a local) said I should start calling them all cock! LOL -

Another thing too....a lot of farmers have got together with game shoots and let the shooting lads presiding do what they like as long as they cover the keepering.

I stop and ask everytime I can -

T

Same here lads, Brodsworth and the other estates out my way are all stalked and managed mostly in-house. But then again my southern accent doesn't do me any favours (as I donta speaka de lingo) most farmers say no as soon as they hear me....my mate (a local) said I should start calling them all cock! LOL -

Another thing too....a lot of farmers have got together with game shoots and let the shooting lads presiding do what they like as long as they cover the keepering.

I stop and ask everytime I can -

T
I know them estates mate I use to go beating at hooton. I was hoping that somebody had some stalking around Thorne area.

If you don't mind me asking was it around Doncaster you went?
yes we even called at a farm that had 4 roe in the crop,and it was pouring down with rain, we called at the farms both sides of the crop if that makes sense,both places we got the same response,polite but no lads my mate comes on foxing and does the deer as well,one guy even said round here mate tha ant got a f---in prayer cock, so that was that:-|

Most of the land round here the farmers aren't that bothered about them being shot.

They may let you take one now and then but that's it, now and again meaning once every few years.

The rest is tied up with no chance

Steve

Yep had a lot of those responses!!

Although I won't give up, as nasty as it sounds someone somewhere will eventually take an offer of money to sway them, the amount used to sway may have to be over the top, but whatever works.

T

Yep had a lot of those responses!!

Although I won't give up, as nasty as it sounds someone somewhere will eventually take an offer of money to sway them, the amount used to sway may have to be over the top, but whatever works.

T
that may be the way foreward mate, but for me I think a change of location is on the cards Im all for persisting but flogging a dead horse is the term that comes to mind.

Most of the land round here the farmers aren't that bothered about them being shot.

They may let you take one now and then but that's it, now and again meaning once every few years.

The rest is tied up with no chance

Steve

Trouble is there are too many dog men around Donny, what is worse is the fact that most have permission to take the deer/whatever and they prefer to use dogs on Roe - for sport!!! I've heard this first hand through people I've met that gave land

I walked around the country show at Thoresby today and there were dog men everywhere, easily recognisable with the lurcher/staffy crosses. Ugly looking dogs.

Oh and good show for the kids to see owls/ferrets/food and crafts -

T

Yes mate

Seen to many roe with their arse ripped out and left.

Police try but mostly waste of time.

Steve

Don't think you've much chance round south Yorkshire fella, my dad has alot of land and 500acres of wood which we've had for over 30 years and until last summer I had not shot a deer in Yorkshire, even that wasn't on my old fellas it was with John robson, too much hassle from dog brigade for them to get going, real shame they don't get touched and numbers never increase, hope you get lucky though!!

Forget it unless you have the right handshake to get in a local dmg, most of the farmers here either like to see the deer around or like Wardy said let friends or game syndicate members take the odd deer.

Door knocking is met by suspicion by most of the land owners i know in the area, they are wary of people cruising about looking around for deer and stalking.
I would say best thing is get on a shoot picking up / beating rabbiting etc and be right with the keeper, it does work but takes time building a relationship and trust.
About 7 or eight years ago i had been picking up just the other side or doncaster nr gainsborough, i wasn't really into deer stalking but the keeper who i had been giving a hand with foxing asked if would help him cull the roe infact he and the land owner gave full acesss over the estate. DF

Forget it unless you have the right handshake to get in a local dmg, most of the farmers here either like to see the deer around or like Wardy said let friends or game syndicate members take the odd deer.

Door knocking is met by suspicion by most of the land owners i know in the area, they are wary of people cruising about looking around for deer and stalking.
I would say best thing is get on a shoot picking up / beating rabbiting etc and be right with the keeper, it does work but takes time building a relationship and trust.
About 7 or eight years ago i had been picking up just the other side or doncaster nr gainsborough, i wasn't really into deer stalking but the keeper who i had been giving a hand with foxing asked if would help him cull the roe infact he and the land owner gave full acesss over the estate. DF

I know wot you mean the farmers who dont know you are always weary.Thing is I've got loads of land that I do the vermin control but not one will let me control the deer worst is on two farms there is loads which is starting to attract attention off poachers.

Andy

No shortage of poachers around Doncaster !! :evil:

Born an bred in Moorends next village to Thorne and we're plauged out with greyhound x mastiffs etc. Mind you their never doing any harm just out for a rabbit mate, thats when their not blocking the public roads trotting.

Born an bred in Moorends next village to Thorne and we're plauged out with greyhound x mastiffs etc. Mind you their never doing any harm just out for a rabbit mate, thats when their not blocking the public roads trotting.

Not being funny but I find that hard to believe mate. Unless they are totally different to the lads who drive round in subarus, etc.

They will take hare, badger, fox and deer and leave them all for you to find as I have.

Would have thought the dog men would be queueing up out your way for a chance on the big ones ?

Not being funny but I find that hard to believe mate. Unless they are totally different to the lads who drive round in subarus, etc.

They will take hare, badger, fox and deer and leave them all for you to find as I have.

Would have thought the dog men would be queueing up out your way for a chance on the big ones ?
Don't understand sarcasm I take it, Was quoting what the arseholes have to say when caught red handed.

Back