Land rover engines

pilgrimmick

Hi
A Land Rover fan, but the new ones are changing so often now it is hard to keep up.
The new 2.4 engine has been replaced with a 2.2 engine. Does anyone have one, what are they like?
I loved both the Tdi engines, was not so impressed with the Td5, and have heard that the 2.4 was noisy and rough. Have not seen a 2.2 yet.
Any thoughts?
Mick

The new engine is slightly quieter than the 2.4 Puma but it is basically the same with a better acoustic engine cover. It has the same power but uses a DPF system that no one seems to have perfected yet and i expect Defender owners to be hacked off with the warning light coming on. Oh and i forgot the rear door handle has holes drilled along the length of the handle which will save the total weight of a £1 coin

Diesel Particulate Filter which basically filters the NOX (soot) from being released into the air... they block up and cause the dash light to come on and an Italian de-coke is the only cure. VW are on thier 4th ECU patch to stop it but a 15minute rev round the back of the workshop seems to be the only way to get the light off.... Defender owners are already reporting problems.

What is the DPF system?

DPF = Deadly Permanent Fire :)

A system whereby, in order to reduce emissions, said emissions are stored in a central point until full. At this point, the system regenerates by burning off the stored emissions and thereby releasing them into the atmosphere :cuckoo:

As it is a system that requires long fast run in order to regenerate, it is ideally suited to land rovers since they are most frequently used for short slow runs.

Or have I missed something?

In all fairness, the 2.2 is an OK engine and certainly quieter (albeit with damping as R-D says) and smoother than the TDI's. What didn't you like about the TD5?

Edit: I should add that it is possible to remove the DPF for better performance and economy, but that obviously buggers the warranty. Done properly, it didn't used to be an MOT problem but I'm not sure what the current situation is.

Last edited:
I had two TD5's and if kept serviced and maintained correctly they were a fine reliable match for the Defender and Discovery2... i have a Puma 2.4 now and i just think it is a lump of an engine but as it is the same as most Transit vans they should last forever and thrive on rakes of abuse. I hear on some LR forums the price of the 2.4's are going up as potential owners are shying away from the unknown DPF engines.

I had two TD5's and if kept serviced and maintained correctly they were a fine reliable match for the Defender and Discovery2.

+1 That's why I asked - if Pilgrimmick didn't like them because they were powered by the Devil (aka ECU), he's not going to be very keen on the Puma et al. Oil in the ECU aside, I thought the TD5's were pretty good - albeit that I like the TDI's as well.

A good 06 TD5 Defender will sell for more than a comparable 07 Puma.. don't know why though?

Nowt wrong with the Td5 engine. Just keep it serviced and you should have no problems.

A most amazing event - this is the first time in the history of the world when those words have been used in relation to something built by Land Rover.
That's obviously just the engine being talked about, no promises about all the other bits and pieces that will wear out and fall off :lol:

I was never keen on the 2.4 in the transit with the lower pressure turbos, they felt totally gutless - did they use a high pressure version on the defender?

Apart from the current TDV8, my favourite landy engine is probably the 300TDi (once it's tweaked slightly, bit slow otherwise).

My last defender was a TDI 300, finally sold it on after seven years with 227k on the clock and still with a few MOTs left in her without too much welding. Now have the Puma 2.4 unit, drives very well but this is in part due to the six speed box which seems to be better matched to the engine.
Only issue I have had is the amber engine warning light coming on which turned out the ECV (Exhaust Circulation Valve) which was apparently sticking, this was noticeable with loss of performance. Assume this relates to the tech' stuff the guys are talking about above.
Always found that the short stroke TD5 required a bit of wellie at all times!!
Given mine a major assault on the rust prevention to see how many years / miles I can get out of this one!!
Cheers
M

Well have been away from the computer for a day and come back to a very busy thread. Many thanks to everyone who has posted.
In no particular order, answers to some questions/points raised.
Td5, I found it needed to be driven hard to get the best out of it, also the fly by wire throttle, i found that this was a real pain when trying to drive slowly. I had the oil in the ECU as well.
I do not really have a problem with ECU engines, they are here to stay.
No matter how much you treat your motor it will have to do well to outlast my oldest, a 1948 series 1 that I still use sometimes around the farm.
RD you do not like the air vents, I love them. Miss the hinges on the windscreen too.

Final question, do you get more leg room in the 2.2 than you did in the 2.4?

Cheers
Mick

I've got a 300 tdi and I think they are the best engine by far. More powerful than the newer models with a turn of a screw drive,loads more room for the driver my knees in the new ones are nearly touching the dash. And with sound proof matting you hardly hear a thing(all tho I am nearly deaf in both ears.).

No electrics, keep it simple.

Regards Andy

Ive got a 300tdi defender just hit 245,000 still runs well keeps up with one that has done half of that. it has got a bigger intercooler , tweaked pump.
Dads got a Td5 90 thats been playing with a bit. Goes well when asked but still ecomomical.
didnt like the puma when i saw it at billing show less leg room than normal, knee banged on the dash when i used the clutch.
MGD

Owning a Puma after having every 90 from 1975 in all forms i can say the Puma engined Defender is the best one so far. The engine pulls like a train, it has excellent heating and air-conditioning. The 6 speed gearbox is leagues ahead of the TD5's and once the early niggles were repaired it has proven to be a reliable vehicle. After 4 1/2 years of ownership how many vehicles will be still holding 80% of the original price??

Back