Fussy Calibres

2428 miles

I reload for two calibres .243 and .30-06.

I have had great success with the .30-06 loading two differentrounds and finding sub MOA groupings very quickly.

The .243 however has been the opposite end of the spectrum. It has taken many more rounds and is still not shooting as tighter groups as the .30-06

The .30-06 appears to have quite a board sweet spot or node but the .243 seems to have a very small node and I don’t think I have found it yet!

So my question is, are some calibres more fussy to reload for than others?

Cheers

M

Last edited:
To answer your question I think there are some fussy calibres but I don't think the .243 or .30-06 could be classified as fussy.
In my experience, some calibres are more fussy with respect to the twist rate and bullet weight/length than others and I'd put the .243 and .223 in that lump.

Using bullets too long/heavy for the twist will be a fruitless excercise in many cases.

To answer your question I think there are some fussy calibres but I don't think the .243 or .30-06 could be classified as fussy.
In my experience, some calibres are more fussy with respect to the twist rate and bullet weight/length than others and I'd put the .243 and .223 in that lump.

Using bullets too long/heavy for the twist will be a fruitless excercise in many cases.
+1 on that - been there myself with .243 with a slow twist. It was wildcatted as a fast/light varmint round, so mine wasn't suited to anything heavier than about 70gr. VeniSoup anyone?!

95 grain SST's and the barrel is 1 in 10 twist so should be good to go.

My best group so far has been 3" @ 200yards with 37 grains of H4350

Going to stick with 37 now and alter the seating depth in 20 thou incs and se how I get on from there.

It likes the Factory Remi 95g Accutips and shoots them sub moa so I know the barrel is still good even if it is looking a bit pitted!

Cheers

M

95 grain SST's and the barrel is 1 in 10 twist so should be good to go.

My best group so far has been 3" @ 200yards with 37 grains of H4350

Going to stick with 37 now and alter the seating depth in 20 thou incs and se how I get on from there.

It likes the Factory Remi 95g Accutips and shoots them sub moa so I know the barrel is still good even if it is looking a bit pitted!

Cheers

M
I struggled with the 95 gr SSTs and gave up. Try something with a flat base. Try 5 thou or less changes in seating depth. Good luck. JCS

Likewise gave up on SST's, found them finnicky as hell. Switched to Nosler and Sierra and had far better results.

I have started to get some .243 reloaded for me.
The load is now a 70gr sierra Blitzking, 38gr of Vit 133. They sub 1" and are going around 3345fps. This is through a T3 varmint with a Jetz on the front.

Jonathon

Back