Thread: Mod for .22 WMR

Mod for .22 WMR

Hi Guys

Just ordered a sako quad in .22 WMR the moderator is the thing - any one have any info on the best one to keep the noise down and light, it is not to be for loads of shooting all at once, would like a over the barrel type if poss ? Any info or your experience of different types would be greatly appreciated before I go and throw another wad at something that may not be up to the job, so many out there now

I use a PES T12 Scout on mine. (overbarrel)
    Not light but very effective.

Steve Kershaw does some lighter ones now, have a look on his website.

you will never lose the supersonic crack though.
    I find my WMR is sometimes noisier than the HMR

Ive got a Wilcat cub on my 22LR which ive aslo tried on the HMR and its a nice little mod, proofed upto .222. Should do the job nicely.

I found the WMR not so easy to moderate as an HMR.
    The humble Sac takes some beating on a cost performance basis, the .22 Wildcat was no better on noise.
    A Pes Mini-T would be my choice if money is not a consideration, they are just over 200 from JMS Arms.
    I have one I use on .22lr and .22 Hornet, it makes a better job of the Hornet than the Pess T12 did, at about
    half the weight and only 2/3 the cost, only 32 mm diameter and 200 mm long, half of that over the barrel.

Cheers Guys

Really great help, check these all out and settle on one.

If your not too far down south maybe give JMS arms a call, at least you can cal in there and try all the mods he has before making your mind up.

I've run mine through the PH mod from my .22LR and found it surprisingly effective. The only thing is you need a strippable mod because the WMR is a dirty round!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    The only thing is you need a strippable mod because the WMR is a dirty round!
    No more so than any other rimfire round.
    Personally I don't like or trust strippable mods, but if it really needs cleaning, either a bucket of hot water with citric acid or similar, or just a run through an ultrasonic cleaner.

mines strippable, still very tight