Muzzle Break

Seanpaul

Chaps

I've got a Rem 700 300 win mag and it kicks like a mule. Does a muzzle break reduce this considerably (40%+?) and has anyone got and affordable recommendation? Below is a photo of the gun, a thin barrel as you can see so anything too chunky may look slightly silly.

Cheers

Swin.jpg

I have 1 on my 7mm rem mag and it kicks less then my mates modded 7mm08
Steve kershaw made and fitted it, Link on my website.

watch it in action here.

no kick and little flip compared to my mates blaser 3006
rifles7-1.jpg

Sean,

I have a similar, pepperpot style, brake to the above. Mine was made by Mike Norris at Brock and Norris. For the size, weight and cost muzzle brake's are pretty amazing. They take all the snap out of the bigger calibres. You can get one built to match the size of your barrel. You can also get it coated if you want everything to match.

The only downside is they don't reduce noise, so be careful with your hearing. Also, quite alot of the smoke and gases produced come out sideways, through the holes in the brake. This can make you unpopular on a range day - whenever you fire, the shooter next to you gets a very loud bang (even with earmuffs it's loud) followed by a face full of smoke.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
Sean,

The only downside is they don't reduce noise, so be careful with your hearing. Also, quite alot of the smoke and gases produced come out sideways, through the holes in the brake. This can make you unpopular on a range day - whenever you fire the shooter next to you gets a very loud bang (even with earmuffs it's loud) followed by a face full of smoke.

Cheers,

Bob
very true rob but couldn't that be an advantage????????

Indeed it can be John. You're always guaranteed plenty of elbow room on the shooting line.

Nice life jacket by the way - you can never be too careful what with climate change etc.

I once shared a target at Bisley with a bloke using a 300 Win Mag with a muzzle brake fitted. I had earplugs in and ear defenders over the top, and it still took months for my ears to stop ringing. Every time he fired it was like being punched in the face. They are seriously antisocial for range work.

A reflex mod will reduce recoil just as effectively *and* not cause hearing damage.

Another down side is all the crap from the ground that will be kicked up and into your face if you are shooting prone.
That's what I found when I tried it on a smaller cal. I also found it noisier to boot so I never bothered on my 300 WM

Moderators do not reduce recoil as effectively as a brake and brakes do not make guns noisier, thats a physical impossibility.
I reckon you guys who belly ache about being next to a guy shooting with a brake on the range complain for the sake of it.
I regularly shoot next to my mate who has a braked 300 Rum, its not a problem, yes there is side blast and concussion but saying it is like being punched in the face is like saying a summer breeze is like a tropical storm, a huge exageration.
If you concentrated more on your own shooting and not what your neighbour on the range is doing you would quickly become accustomed to their use and realise that brakes are not antisocial at all.

Ian.

How about a Moderator with a built in Brake? I have one on my 30-06 AI. No need for any Ear protection and recoil is such that i can see Bullet strike through the scope.:cool:

Yorkie.

How about a Moderator with a built in Brake? I have one on my 30-06 AI. No need for any Ear protection and recoil is such that i can see Bullet strike through the scope.:cool:

Yorkie.

Like i said to you before Yorkie i am not convinced of the effectiveness of a brake within a mod, to be honest i also reckon that they dont reduce recoil any more the a regular moderator, certainly not as much as a dedicated brake

Ian.

I run one of Steve Kershaws brakes on my 270wsm, it tames the recoil down considerably, so much so that it is quite tame to shoot. It also balances the rifle much better, and is lighter than a mod, which is great for the hill. The noise however is a different thing, you wouldn't want to shoot more than a couple of shots with out plugs or muffs.

What was that you said.......

Why not just bite the bullet & shoot your chosen calibre naked?....... granted, fit a mod if you are culling deer!............ or go down a calibre or two?:stir: Wuss!

I've found the Sonic 45 moderators with the internal Neilson device to be great on recoil reduction. My 30-06, with this mod, kicks about half as much as my 308 did with a T8 on the end. One of these might be a viable option that will reduce recoil without reducing your hearing ;)

Also, it will look fine with your light barrel. I spoke to a guy with one on a 300 win mag the other day and he was very happy with it.

I've used a rifle with muzzle brake (Mag-na-port) for the last 8years. The recoil reduction is great. Another upside is while shooting, none of the blast gets to you. The noise however does!

The blast exits in the direction the holes/slots are cut...if done correctly the slots will be cut to the side and top side of the muzzle (Reducing muzzle flip somewhat).

Both blast & noise will affect those around you.
Cheers,

Blaser 005.jpg :tiphat:

Last edited:
I have two 300 Win Mags. One has a muzzle brake; felt recoil is seriously reduced but as other have noted it sounds a lot noisier, I guess because the noise is blown sideways and closer to yours and everybody else`s ears. The other barrel is threaded and I fired it for the first time on Saturday. The recoil is considerably stronger but prefectly managable. I have fired my friend`s 7mm rem Mag which has a T8 moderator and there is virtually no recoil whatsoever. Muzzle brakes in my experience definitely reduce recoil but at the expense of sounding noisier. Having shot a 300 Win Mag without a brake, I will use it for the stags in August and October. I fired my 375 H&H on Saturday as well for the first time; no MB and again nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I won`t be fitting a brake either!

ok thanks for the feedback, i think I've been persuaded to get one especially to stop me flinching which is a habit I'm starting to develop which is nae good

ok thanks for the feedback, i think I've been persuaded to get one especially to stop me flinching which is a habit I'm starting to develop which is nae good

Just be careful as often people flinch because of the noise and the blast rather than the shove in the shoulder - fitting a brake might just increase the flinch rather than cure it.

A really good pair of electronic defenders, either in or over ear would sort out any flinch from the noise either before or after adding a brake.

David.

brakes do not make guns noisier, thats a physical impossibility.

I think what you are asserting is that it is impossible for a brake to increase the amount of energy released as sound and this is probably correct. However, brakes can increase the sound pressure levels at the position of the shooter or for someone in a nearby lane at a range for example. Sound is basically a pressure wave and a brake works by directing the wave in a specific direction, so although the amount of energy converted to "sound" may remain the same the pressure wave is, in effect, focused and so a brake can result in a significant increase of sound energy in specific areas. Because of the design a brake usually directs the pressure wave rearwards and so towards the shooter and anyone standing close by him. As I am sure you are aware you can easily see this in action by watching someone fire a braked rifle and watching the dust and debris get blown backwards by the pressure from the brake, or by standing beside them and feeling the concussion, which is basically the pressure wave, when they fire.

The sound pressure wave, and so the sound pressure level experienced by the ear, with an un-braked rifle is basically a big sphere centred on the muzzle and so the energy in this situation is evenly spread (ignoring the ground and the HF shadow cast by the shooter and other such minor stuff) meaning that people standing an equal distance from the rifle in every direction will experience approximately the same sound pressure level, and the same potential for damage to hearing.

I used to have measurements for the SPLs experienced by the shooter of a braked rifle but I can't find them, however my recollection is that the increase in SPL, noise or whatever you might want to call it is considerable and has the potential to significantly increase damage to hearing.

I would imagine, and I'm just thinking aloud here, that at a significant distance from the shooter of a braked rifle the sound pressure level would pretty much return to an average level approximately centred on the rifle and expanding like a big sphere again as the focused sound or pressure wave is not going to travel far in air, this would be basically an impedance matching problem. So, what you say might be true at longer distances such as in the target butts at a range, but certainly not at the position of the shooter or his mates on the firing point.

Moderators do not reduce recoil as effectively as a brake and brakes do not make guns noisier, thats a physical impossibility.

I have a 270 with brake and one without.
very similar weight.
If I had to shoot them blindfold i am not sure I could tell the difference in felt recoil.

as for lane sharing, I have been lying prone next to a .3xx calibre with a brake and I am not sure the noise is any worse than from the one I am holding but the thump on the earth is amusing!

Back