'full bore' moderator?

Mungo

Probably a question which has been asked before, so apologies.

I have a slot on my FAC for one 'full bore' moderator.

I have a .243 and a .22.

I would prefer to get a mod for the .22 - don't really see the point on a .243.

So- does the current wording allow me to get a mod for the .22?

Advice gratefully received.

I wouldn't think so Mungo. I think it was in last month's Sporting Rifle magazine that Peter Jackson of Jackson Rifles mentioned that you shouldn't use a centrefire moderator on a rimfire rifle because of the danger from accumulated unburnt powder suddenly igniting. In any case it is unlikely that a dealer will sell you a rimfire moderator instead of the centrefire moderator which you are authorised to acquire.

I have a slot on my FAC for one 'full bore' moderator.

- don't really see the point on a .243.

You need to spicify if the .22 is a C/F or not. Full bore does not im my experience include a rimfire .22 and varition would be required.

Now refering to your quote, use a moderated .243 and be amazed!!!!

I agree SE i tried my 243 weekend without mod and couldnt hear for ringing and recoil increased dramatically. you forget how the rifle acts when you never use it without a mod.

Great - thanks folks.

I understand the dinstinction now: full bore is essentially centrefire, and small bore is rimfire.

I wouldn't think so Mungo. I think it was in last month's Sporting Rifle magazine that Peter Jackson of Jackson Rifles mentioned that you shouldn't use a centrefire moderator on a rimfire rifle because of the danger from accumulated unburnt powder suddenly igniting. In any case it is unlikely that a dealer will sell you a rimfire moderator instead of the centrefire moderator which you are authorised to acquire.

Well each to their own but Steve Kershaw specifically sells over barrel CF calibre moderators for HMR/WMR.
The extra volume of the chamber helps massively with the magnum rimfires.
I have used a PES T12 Scout on .22lr, .22WMR, .17M2 and .17HMR for over 5 years.
whilst the Lil'gun powder leaves ball residue everywhere I doubt this is "unburnt" as it is extremely fast burning by comparison to anything used in .2xx upward CF rounds.
Mine is strippable and there is more residue left from 10 rounds of 243 than a couple of boxes of .22 lr on night at the lamp

To the OP.

I had a "small bore" moderator on my FAC when I purchased the PES for my rimfire(s) (L&B)
when I measured the bore it was 6.5mm so I asked the police if I could use it on my 243 rather than purchase the "full bore" moderator I had a slot for. (why spend another £200 just for the hell of it!)
They said yes, technically I should have bought the PES under the "Full bore" slot despite its original purpose being rimfire, so they converted on the system. (FAC t be updated on renewal)
I now no longer own a "small bore" mod but use it on 5 calibres from .17-.243, i still have 2 slots for "full bore" moderators!

I dont doubt you could buy a similar mod to me and run it exclusively on your .22 (the police have no issue with multi calibre use that is why it is not a calibre specific listing on your FAC) but it will be heavier.
I use my PES on .22lr more than anything else and it is is very quiet, significantly more so that the SAK and PH I have tried.

Mungo I am not quite sure if I got your original question right. Were you asking if you could simply purchase a rimfire moderator instead of the centrefire moderator that your certificate permitted? If so the answer stands as NO. If you were referring to a moderator that your certificate allows you to purchase for a .22 centrefire then the answer may be different perhaps you should simply ask your dealer what he would be prepared to sell you based on the actual wording on your certificate. Alternatively you could give your FEO a call.
With regard to moderators basically I see it that there are moderators specifically designed for rimfires. Then as Brewsher mentions there are moderators specifically designed for use with HMR/WRM rifles. Then there are moderators for centrefire rifles.
I agree with the advice given by Peter Jackson and personally I would never fit a centrefire moderator on a rimfire rifle (HMR/WRM) as I have heard the advice regarding accumulation of unburned powder in moderators previously, and am aware of such an instance locally which resulted in an “explosion” within the moderator. If I used a HMR/WRM rifle I would only consider using a moderator specifically designed for that task.
I own a centrefire moderator which I use with both .222rem and .308w. Obviously the .222rem is not moderated quite as effectively as it would if a calibre specific moderator was fitted but it is still none the less effective and saves me the additional expence of having to have two separate mods.

8x57 - the question was whether I could get a rimfire moderator for a 22LR with the current wording.

I understand the distinctions now, and see that the answer is definitely no.

I was really looking for clarity as to how 'fullbore' was interpreted (it can carry different meanings - for instance, I have encountered it as meaning simply anything requiring an FAC that isn't an air-rifle).

No real drama - I am quite happy to phone L&B and ask for a variation. They are very helpful and efficient in my experience.

That's the good thing about rimfire mods, they are cheap and the cheaper ones generally work just as well as the more costly ones. Plod should change your cert for you with no problem whatsoever.

Mungo,
Smallbore rifle shooting has always been traditional regarded as shooting rimfire calibres upto and including .22LR
Fullbore rifle shooting has usually been intrepreted to mean Target rifle shooting, the 7.62x51 being the most popular calibre.
To you and me, smallbore is Rimfire and fullbore is Centrefire, i have my moderators listed accirdingly.

Ian.

That's the good thing about rimfire mods, they are cheap and the cheaper ones generally work just as well as the more costly ones. Plod should change your cert for you with no problem whatsoever.

If L&B I doubt it will even cost you.
see if you can purchase what you need, as stated some places will allow a smaller mod on a larger ticket slot

Back