re-barreling a heym question

shbangsteve

Found a knackered Heym SR20 L/H in 7x57. Is the 7x57 a long action ? Could I re-barrel it to 7x64 ?
The C.O.L for a heavy bulleted 7x57 is 3.0"/76mm, 7x64 3.3"/84mm ie an extra 8mm. Would the 7x57 action be able to cycle the 7x64 and would the cartridges fit in the magazine ? Anyone got a Heym in 7x57 and can you measure it?

thanks Steve

Speak to Simon at Reeves UK, who imports Heym rifles. From my experience, he will let you have an answer very quickly.

Found a knackered Heym SR20 L/H in 7x57. Is the 7x57 a long action ? Could I re-barrel it to 7x64 ?
The C.O.L for a heavy bulleted 7x57 is 3.0"/76mm, 7x64 3.3"/84mm ie an extra 8mm. Would the 7x57 action be able to cycle the 7x64 and would the cartridges fit in the magazine ? Anyone got a Heym in 7x57 and can you measure it?

thanks Steve

All calibres in the Heym SR20 action are Long, including the .243.

It's a staggered box magazine (blocked in medium length calibres) with Z-spring and floorplate.

I've had .243,.270, and .308 in Lefthand SR20. The dimensions and action are standard Mauser. The action is no more than a Mauser converted to push-feed.

Forgot to add that the 7x57 needs a long action, so all you'll need is a 7x64 barrel.

You'll notice that the standard Krupp-steel barrel has a very slim featherweight profile.

Bear this in mind if you plan to use the current rifle stock.

I had a 7x57 lh SR 20 for about five minutes. I also have one in 243. They are both long actions so will take 7x64. The 7x57 I had bought over the phone and shipped to local dealer. It wasn't any where like the pristine condition it was supposed to be so it went straight back. The bolt handle had been crudly enlarged with a lump of epoxy and the bedding was awful.

I did speak directly with Heym in Germany and not an unreasonable cost to rebarrel to a different calibre. Heym do sell barrels and actions separately.

Just measured the mag box on my 243 - it is 90mm long so plenty of room.

Have you tried shooting the 7x57 barrel - they tend to have a long barrel life. A really good scrub would be my first step. Have a look at the bedding as well - they were pillar bedded from the factory so should be good. The one I had been redone with what looked like car body filler. Have a look at the crown of the muzzle - simple job to have it redone. A rebarreling job is going to cost £650 plus.

thanks Heym sr20 . I need to get a variation so was going to try for just 7mm with the intention of trying the 7x57 first .

Back