CZ-550 help please

Si

When we were out stalking last week I noticed the front of the scope on my mates CZ-550 was touching the iron sight, so we tried to remove it. The two screws came out OK but it seems like the sight block is glued on.
Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove it?

Thanks

Came across an American Forum/website recently where this was being discussed and the conclusion was smaller scope or taller rings but to remove the block it had to ground be off!!

I was initially searching on how to remove the blockon a 452 when I came across it as I had the same issue.

PS I found it but I cannot post the link but its on Eric Brookes website if you search under "removal of rear sight on CZ452" you will see a lot of stuff posted

Last edited:
I have a sight block on my ZKK (earlier version), which is literally constructed into the barrel profile, the sight blade as such can be knocked/tapped out which solves the problem, unless your scope is sitting RIGHT on top of the barrel. If you grind it down, probably worth getting someone good to do it.

When we were out stalking last week I noticed the front of the scope on my mates CZ-550 was touching the iron sight, so we tried to remove it. The two screws came out OK but it seems like the sight block is glued on.
Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove it?

Thanks

The simply solution of course is to use a sensible sized scope and not something that looks like it belongs to the Hubble programme.. Somehow I guess he has a 56mm scope fitted.

I tried a 7x50 Meopta on my ZKK 601 but it just looked so out of place I put the 6x42 back on it or the Zeiss jena ZF4/N that was meant for it. Makes a much nicer balanced rifle IMHO.

Of course it's his rifle and money so it's really up to him but you did ask for "advice".

I had a CZ550 American along time ago but I don't remember having a problem mounting a Meopta 3-12 x 50 on it.
From the posts so far it seems rather a drastic move to talk of grinding the sight off, have you contacted Edgar Bros for advice first ?

I don't think he's contacted anyone yet, it's not a massive problem only one of those annoying things. There are two screws that hold it on but even with the screws removed it's stuck solid. It doesn't look like part of the barrel construction as there is a clear line along the joint. My initial thought was some locktite had got under the block and that it would come off with a good smack but it seems not.

Grinding is a bit severe, I think the smaller scope or higher mounts option is better.

Although I haven't worked on that particular rifle, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the rear sight base on some CZ's were soldered on and even that it was incorporated (in some way I can't think of at the moment) into the action. However, if you are sure that all the screws/fixings are out, it may be worth trying to tap the base backwards in case there is some sort of dovetail. If it is soldered, don't try to remove it yourself (as the heat involved may loosen or weaken other joints) just take it to a gunsmith.

I have a sight block on my ZKK (earlier version), which is literally constructed into the barrel profile, the sight blade as such can be knocked/tapped out which solves the problem, unless your scope is sitting RIGHT on top of the barrel. If you grind it down, probably worth getting someone good to do it.

i had to do this on by ZZK602 , my local gun smith done it for me , took all of abot 10 mins

Eddie, the "American " dosnt have any iron sights but the 550 Lux and Standard do. I have 550 Lux in 243 and I have a Bushnell 6-14 X 40 on it and it sits just nice . I was advised against trying to remove the sight block.
Tusker

The manual show the sight base is held by two screws, so remove and a sharp tap should shift it.

Neil. :)

As Hornet says a tap using a brass drift and hammer should do the job. Just be aware that on some guns the channel that sight blades fit in is tapered and designed that the blade should only be slid in or out from the one side. So it may be worth checking this before you try tapping the blade out.

As Hornet says a tap using a brass drift and hammer should do the job. Just be aware that on some guns the channel that sight blades fit in is tapered and designed that the blade should only be slid in or out from the one side. So it may be worth checking this before you try tapping the blade out.

I was commenting removal of the sight base complete, not just the base.
The blade is I think held by a single screw, once slackened off the blade should just slide out sideways.

Neil. :)

Thanks for the replies chaps, the rifle is going to Dave Mercer for screw cutting so hopefully he can do something with it.

ATB

Back