Bone saws

I have one but the Sagen saw is much better.
The Gerber tends to bind and get stuck,it does the job but not like the Sagen.
Cheers
Richard

Pete E said:
If its for use in the Larder, northern tool do proper butchers bone saws for about £15 to £20 (depending on size) plus postage..see:

http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=102012E

http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=102022E

It's more for out in the field so I'll prob get a Sagen, but I did see those northern tool bone saws, Pete - do you have one yourself? I was just a bit suspicious as they were a fraction of the price of everything else out there and didn't want to buy a bit of junk over the internet!

A friend bought a 12" version and it he seemed happy enough with it in that he never commented one way or the other.

I have bought other stuff from them and its always been ok and they also have a good return policy if your not happy...

For field use, I'd go with either the slightly longer Sagen II saw, or the pull saw David Stretton makes out of a butchers knife..I had one of these and it was excellent, but it went "walk about"..

I currently use either the Gerber E-Z saw or a Gerber folding saw and agree that while they work, their teeth are not ideal and do clog somewhat.

In truth I use them very little these days, as I don't split bones in the field if I can help it, prefering to use a proper butchers saw when I get back to the more hygienic conditions of the larder...

Regards,

Peter

Bloody hell pete they look excellent value. Thanks for posting that. Been looking for one for ages.

Just be aware that while the blade is stainless steel, the frame of the saw is "chrome plated steel" according to the description.

I've no idea how well that will hold up over time especially as blood and some of the sanitizing fluids used in a larder are a bit on the corrosive side...Having said that, for home use, I would imagine it would be fine.

I use one of the little Gerbers in the field for opening up chest cavities and it works fine. It does get a bit clogged though but still seems to function. Mine came in a pouch with a curved gut hook/skinning blade and they both live on the belt of my stalking trousers so I am never without the means of a gralloch!
http://www.shootingshop.com/products/Gerber_E-Z_Cleaning_Combo_Skinner_Saw_1918.aspx
I still use a knife mainly though.
For butchery I use a scobies saw which is excellent:
http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemDesc=Handsaw+17+1/2"&ItemNo=CT40001
The problem with the smaller saws like the 12" is that you don't seem to have enough blade to get a proper sawing action going, and end up continuosly battering the saw handle/frame against what you are trying to saw. The only bad point with the above saw is that the blade is made of a very good steel which never seems to blunt, but sadly isn't stainless and will rust if not washed and dried properly.

MonkeySpanker,

After making do with tenon saws and looking around in secondhand shops, I eventually bit the bullet and bought one of those; they are expensive but excellent quality. I should add that at the time i wasn;t aware of those from Northern Tools

Of course, as soon as I bought the Scobies one, I ended up chatting to somebody who was a retired butcher and he gave me another slightly smaller one! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure of the size of the blade on the smaller one, it may be 12" or it could be 14", but I prefer it for the Roe and Muntjac I mostly do...Having said that, I can well imagine that on Fallow or Red, the bigger blade on the larger saw would work better...

Regards,

Peter

In my opinion, a saw is not needed in the field unless you wish to split the chest on a Red. Otherwise, knowledge of physiology allied to a sharp knife will do the trick cleanly and with minimum mess.

I have had great success using one of these folding 'Laplanders' - though it normally gets employed for clearing stalking tracks and making hides!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-396-Lap-Laplander-Folding/dp/B0001IX7OW

Excellent kit, weighs very little, very sharp and quick cutting.

Rgds Ian :)

Bone Saw

Ian F

Thanks for the tip mate, ive got a folding saw like that - I use it for hides etc - now I know it can be used on the deer it'll save me buying something dedicated (at least for a while).

Cheers

Daemon

:D

Give David Stretton a ring at Donington Deer Park, he's an engineer as well as manager at Donington Deer Park & makes bone saws to his own design.

Just a quick point on the folding/pad saws. Make sure you get one that cuts on the 'Pull' stroke. Apart from being much safer to use, they are better for meat hygiene reasons as they pull any dirt/hair out of the carcass instead of pushing it inside. Not sure you should be using the same one for branch cutting too though!? :eek:

Monkey Spanker said:
Just a quick point on the folding/pad saws. Make sure you get one that cuts on the 'Pull' stroke. Apart from being much safer to use, they are better for meat hygiene reasons as they pull any dirt/hair out of the carcass instead of pushing it inside. Not sure you should be using the same one for branch cutting too though!? :eek:

Good points Mick! If you want a saw for pruning dont bother with a folding saw! :evil: Use a Siky, I would recommend a Gomatro- 300mm. Around 35 quid. You won't be disappointed 8)

I agree with ianf you dont need a saw if you know your anatomy. Though I have always envied those ultra stright chest cuts hanging in the game dealers when I drop my deer off. I will buy one of those whizzy chest saws, and i will forget it most days and the day i do remember it I will leave it in the field.

If you find yourself in this position, roll your deer on its back, kneel between the rear legs, hold your knife dagger style with sharp edge pointing away. Insert below the breastbone just to one side, then push and cut down in a zigzag motion and you will cut the rib ends off the sternum of even the largest deer no probs it just dont look as fancy as a saw cut but this area is almost all waste to the game dealer.

I got a saw from B and Q for about a fiver i think it was, one of their own makes. You can take the blades off, tighten them etc and it has a plastic handle so is easy to wash. Works fine for roe deer, ribs, neck etc no problems.

Back