30mm rings on a budget

pilgrimmick

Hello
I am looking for a set of decent 30mm rings to mount a NXS 5.5-22x56 to weaver bases, without breaking the bank, any suggestions?
Mick

Rings are the last place to cut costs.

That said, Warne fixed rings are excellent and not too expensive at around £60 or £70, been a while since I bought any.

Try these:-

Item number: 330614223832 on e-bay

£10.79 + £2.45 P&P Nikko Sterling Warne type copies to fit Weaver bases. I wanted to reasonably priced rings to test outt his scope:-

PB160081.jpg

So brought a set of these Nikko Sterling 30mm rings to go on the P-H 1200V to hold the Falcom menace 7.5 mag CSS scope I picked to try the Mildot reticle They work. I am not keen on vertically split rings as they are usually a bugger to get the scope properly vertical and square.

P.S sorry bout the crappy shot.. My camera was not available so borrowed Mothers which is awful to use.

I'm pretty sure I've got a spare new set of weavers kicking around in my house in the borders, but won't be there until easter weekend..will have a look unless you're sorted in advance

I've got a set of Leupold Tactical rings in steel: I'd sell them so I could get a set of TPS :rofl: Seriously though, if you want them, make me an offer...

I'm confused!:confused:
Why on earth would you even consider putting a grands worth of glass on some cheap mounts?!
The scope is only as good as the interface between it and the rifle. You may as well just stick a cheap Tasco on top off an old air rifle and be done with it.
A decent set won't break the bank either compared to the cost of your scope.
Buy cheap - BUY TWICE!!!!:doh:
MS

MS
Nowhere did I say cheap, I said on a budget. I am not going to stick some crap on, but if you look on the web, everybody says theirs are the best, so I wanted to check the forum to see what folk reccomend.
Cheers
Mick

Got to agree with previous posts, quality always counts although can fully understand the conflicting advice and having to work within a budget.

MS
Nowhere did I say cheap, I said on a budget. I am not going to stick some crap on, but if you look on the web, everybody says theirs are the best, so I wanted to check the forum to see what folk reccomend.
Cheers
Mick

Please show me where I said those Nikko Sterling rings were the best?

As I pointed out I don't actually like vertically split rings but they serve the purpose. However I cannot see that Warne are worth 5x the price. In today's world the chances are high that they are even made in the same factory in China.

Sorry but there is a lot of brand snobbery in shooting and stalking in particular :rolleyes:.

As said before it's your money so spend it where you want. As the advice on here is free you are also free to do with it what you like ;) it will not effect me one way or another.

Got to agree with previous posts, quality always counts although can fully understand the conflicting advice and having to work within a budget.

Everyone has a budget ................................................... just some are small and some well money seems to be no object. But all have a budget.

i have a pair of steel tps rings on my 22/250 then i see a pair of alloy ones on here for sale that matt was selling so snapped them up fast. they really are superbly made
up there with the badger rings. but with out the badger price tag !

i had some split ring warne rings and to be fair think there junk for the very reason pkl has said instalment and alignment purposes. they do your head in.
what i like about the tps rings is when you open the box you can see there superbly made. they have torx heads so no rounded off screws
:lol:

and i like the design of getting eye relief right. then fully tighten the left hand bolts up. this still lets you adjust a little to get cross hairs level.
then when your happy do the right hand side screws up. look back through the scope and the cross hair is lovely and level.

nothing worse then getting it level only for it to move the cross hair when going back and to tightening each screw up.:lol:

midway sell tps rings. and rg rifles i think sell them. me i woujld import them from he usa from brownnells

Last edited:
Oh believe me folks can round/strip out the torx sockets too :banghead:.

I could show you the ones on the P-H 1200C I acquired. Wanted to change the Std Leupold mounts but someoe has glues the screws in and the bases to the action :doh: :mad:.

Hello
I am looking for a set of decent 30mm rings to mount a NXS 5.5-22x56 to weaver bases, without breaking the bank, any suggestions?
Mick

Here we go again ........ but there isn't a more robust setup than Sportsmatch mounts. Only £20-£30 via Ebay & many other UK shooting sites. You could use the matching Weaver rings, but their price has gone up unjustifiably. Millet windage-adjustable mounts are another option. Every maker has a product to fit Weaver bases anyway.

http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/weaver.html

Sportsmatch don't budge, have a recoil stop, and have every bit as much grip as Warne rings without the struggle. On the Warne front, why any maker would think that vertically split rings which don't incorporate any lateral adjustment are a brilliant bit of design eludes me. Obviously with major UK distributors like YG and SGC behind them they're more well known so do sell.

Last edited:
I must say I have not been impressed with the Sportsmatch mounts that I have had. I don't call a roll pin pressed into the base of the ring much of a recoil stud for one thing. Obviously others are happy with them.

I first grew dissatisfied with vertically split rings about 20 years ago when I acquired a set of "Savage" rings they used to use on their package rifles. Although the rings were well made setting the scope up so it was true with reticle aligned with action proved to be a right game.

Of the rings I've used: the Warne vertically split ones were also my least favourite, mainly because it wasn't possible to undo and remount them (I know they do a QD version), also it didn't seem to do a good job of holding the scope without it slipping forwards.

The Leupold PRW are what I'd consider to be the cheapest decently made ones, my only dislike is that it's quite disconcerting clipping the top part on (that said, I'm sure the geometry means the tube is very firmly held). Ditto with the QRW, also with the QRW I'm not entirely convinced by the little levers in that you can't really tighten them much (maybe that's a good thing!), but they are convenient to remove and remount and I never had a problem with them.

Of the 'high-end' ones I've owned/seen: Nightforce/Leupold Mk4 (Tactical) but there's not a lot between them, the Nightforce is sleeker, they also do the super-light which has titanium parts...

Then there's the TPS: IMHO as good as any I've seen: machining and finish are flawless, and also cheaper than Leupold/Badger/NIghtforce etc. The only reason I sold a set to Jay22 was that I sold the 1" scope that they were holding.

Anyway, I've sorted pilgrimmick out with my Leupold Tacticals (just a tad heavy and I fancy some TPS aluminium ones)...

Back