Bloody foxes!

Daemo

Im so annoyed.

I just went to put my chickens away and a bloody fox has killed all but one - and the poor bugger left alive was badly injured on its head so ive had to kill it.

I know that being annoyed at a fox is pointless, because like them or loathe them - they have to eat too - what gets me is the bleeding heart liberals in my area who feed the damn things and encourage them to roam the area.

I wish they could see the damage they do.

Rant over.

Chicken for Sunday lunch.

Daemon

:D

I bought my daughter twenty chickens a few years back so she could earn a few pounds pocket money. Would have been a good idea if I had not had to replace them at least twice. I just cant keep on top of the fox population.

Foxes

No matter what you do, or how many foxes you get rid of - there will always be plenty around to take over a territory.

The guy further on from me had 10 out of 12 geese killed this year too.

Its a shame, people see a fox and think they are cute - and anyone anti foxes is seen as cruel.

Daemon

one thing i luv most about you lot
is you put food out for the fox , then moan when he eats it
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Few people appreciate how well foxes can climb (particularly chicken-wire fencing), how well they can dig and how bloody determined they are. I keep chickens, and I have yet to lose one to Charlie. The generous use of Keepsafe fencing dug in with an L-shaped footing, electrical fencing tape and 87gr V-Max keeps the little ginger tossers at bay.

Isn't there a common phrase 'kill one fox and 12 others will come to its funeral'?

Food for foxes

Stone - many a true word spoken in jest and all that! :D

It does feel like im providing a winter feeding service to them today I must admit.

Baldrick - its an allotment near a built up area and I value my tickets too much to sort out the foxes, so no funeral! - but if I decide to get any more chickens, it'll be the chicken equivalent of fort knox to house them!

Daemon

I think I have sussed it now though. Just acquired some of that anti climb fencing they put around building sites. Am hoping that stops the little buggers. Your right Stone I must have donated 50 or 60 to help the lovely things get a good start in life.

over the years we hav lost a few turkeys, geese , chickens , peafowl, wabbits ,ducks ,phessies... etc etc
to these lovely looking creatures :evil:
lost another muscovy last night :evil:
revenge will be sweet :evil:

Baldrick said:
Isn't there a common phrase 'kill one fox and 12 others will come to its funeral'?

Nope, that's wasps mate. It actually works too. Apparently splatting a wasp causes it to release phemerones which attract all the others within scenting range. I understand the same thing applies to Man U supporters? :lol:

Well I reckon it must be true as we hung up a fox we shot on the fence, the brother in law reckoned would keep them away
Did it bollox :rolleyes:

However what it did do was attract every fox in the district, most of which fell foul to my auto & some 3/4 brass No. 1's :lol:

Not seen many for a while but the thing that did the most damage was not ;) a fox but a feral polecat, the foxes kept nipping in and grabbing the odd chicken in the daytime, the bleedin polecat managed to get in the pen and killed 12 of them I shot it as it was trying to drag one of it's victims out through the hole it sqeezed itself through ;)

Same here, lost 9 chickens to Fox over two weeks, including one hit in the middle of the afternoon.

Decided to snare the buggers as I live on a country estate, set 4 snares the first time caught one dog fox the next night. Set 3 snares the second time caught 2 foxes, dog and a vixen.

Just had my friend over from Finland 2 weeks back. Took him lamping two nights running, walked round a few fields on the estate and shot another 3.

There seems to be a great many foxes about at present. Just got back from an area I have in West Sussex. Two outing two Roe Doe's. Saw a lot of bucks, plus a fox walking through the wood at 3.30pm with a Pheasant in its mouth. Unfortunatly for me he saw me, before I could get the cross hairs on the bugger :evil:

We are having a quiet time of it in North Herefordshire at the mo. Last year was aswell, normally hit the ton but only had a couple shy of 50 looking back through my book.
Was on the way back from work on friday and pulled up to watch one mooching along a headland.
We find if we go out after the hunt has been exersising their horses we tend to see more.
Jonathon

Foxes

We have loads about here.

2007 was bad for mixy in Notts - but last year the rabbit population recovered somewhat, this year its rabbitcity - so I imagine as the rabbit population increases so do the foxes.

I can get my revenge with the foxes on the estate, the ones around my house are unfortunately safe.

Daemon

well to be honest i had got no land left what i would call close to home as the local family with the money have got into shooting and keep buying everything up so not been doing alot,but today my dad said he was talking to one of the local farmers at the weekend and he was buying eggs at the market because the foxes had cleared him out of his hens twice!so guess where i went after speaking to my dad ;) any way sorted no one shoots is land apart from me now and i can shoot what i like in season :D :D as long i leave the pheasants in the field buy the house alone.result.so i will be out lamping next week,cant go before guests in the holiday cottage,but i can live with that.

Back