Living in the country is superb

adjman

Just driven home from the horse yard and in the field at the top of our lane was a little Fallow pricket and just a little further over from him were three roe does all grazing on the grass in the field. I got my girlfriend to slow down and stop so we could watch them for a while, at this the fallow pricket turned to look and (just as the books said) he started to stamp his front foot occasionally whilst looking at the car.

The little Roe does were more aware and one of them rushed off into the woodland on the other side of the road after a quick glance at us while the other two watched us warily from the field.

I am so very lucky to live in fantastic countryside like this :)

Hello mate yes you are not wrong,,,i work on the farm Park Farm to be precise,,,,i get up about 5 in the morning then by 6 i am at work,,am still at work at mo kettle on ready for a brew,,,,been cleaning out the sprayer was in the multi track today spraying the fields,,,see alsorts,,,,can sit in the tractor on the top of the 800 and just watch the world go by while have a cuppa.

paul

My daily "commute" is about 35 minutes along country roads. On my journey to work I will invariably see several red kites at very close range, a few buzzards, at least four or five muntjac, a small herd of Fallow and three Roe (the Roe buck has a lovely head!). I'll also see all sorts of other stuff.

Can't understand how anyone could live in the city and never see any wildlife other than the odd urban Charlie or rat (and I did it for several years, so I can make the comparison!)

Of course it's not as god now as when my commute to work was to step out of the door and walk ten yards to the tack room, then 50 yards to the field to get the pony. That followed by a good 12 to 13 miles across the Scottish hills.

I guess living in the country is superb if you
a. live in proper country, rather than quasi-suburban pretend country
b. work there.
c. by virtue of living there, have access to more shooting/stalking than if you lived in town.

If I lived in 'proper' country, I'd be wasting a large amount of money and time getting to and from work (in town). This would impact adversely on my ability to pay for shooting and stalking.

Futher, I'm not keen on sitting in a car in traffic. In town, I can go everywhere by bicycle.

Country: nice to look at (well, some of it is) and good to shoot/stalk in.

For a town-working chap on a modest salary, though, it has to be town for living.

I guess living in the country is superb if you
a. live in proper country, rather than quasi-suburban pretend country
b. work there.
c. by virtue of living there, have access to more shooting/stalking than if you lived in town.

If I lived in 'proper' country, I'd be wasting a large amount of money and time getting to and from work (in town). This would impact adversely on my ability to pay for shooting and stalking.

Futher, I'm not keen on sitting in a car in traffic. In town, I can go everywhere by bicycle.

Country: nice to look at (well, some of it is) and good to shoot/stalk in.

For a town-working chap on a modest salary, though, it has to be town for living.

I know how that feels, I was in manchester (Chorlton) when i was at college and worked there for years afterwards...I had to make a break when the chance came...Swapped the town for the somerset levels, drop in money, harder work, more expensive to live here generally...Quality of life 100% better

living in the city,,done copenhagen, done london, done paris, in edinburgh, have a house in the borders....CANNOT WAIT to move outside the city!!! problem is working there and commuting...my place in the borders is only 60 miles south of Auld Reekie but you're looking at close to £800/month in fuel just for the commute.....bugger...LOL

Back