Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 years of reloading stupidity... saved from by Big Steve

20 years of reloading stupidity... saved from by Big Steve

I have just realised that reloading the many thousands of rounds I have used with powder scales to weigh each charge was possibly the most stupid, tight and stubborn mind set thinking thing I will ever have done. Big Steve bought a lee powder measure and scales from th US and got two sets delivered from Lee in error and being a mate gave me one of each for free. Now, sceptical as I am about such things I set it up and tested the measure with lots of throws surprised at the accuracy of each throw, away I went. With my buckets of primed brass fetched out I went mental.

Last night I charged and loaded:

123 .308 150grn sst's,
    27 .375 h&h 250grn Gamekings
    30 .375 h&h 300grn

The 1kg tub of vit 140 I had got battered and I apologise to all those people who said to get a powder measure over the years to which I always said I was happy with the scales, ignorant to how good they were and too tight to spend cash. Thank you Big Steve for a life changing gift.

Whatever.................................. I have an RCBS Uniflow measure in a drawer as didn't have the space to mount it in the mobile home so have been loading using Lee Scoops and scales. It works and I have never really bothered about the time loading takes. Tis all part and parcel of the whole part of Shooting, collecting and stalking to me.

I couldn't be without my digital scales now, it has made me obsessed with powder weight accuracy- not sure thats a good thing though, ignorance is bliss and the rounds shot perfectly well before - but now i just know

Ahhh more gadgets to lighten the pocket .

I could not be bothered with digital scales... More batteries or things to charge and more to go wrong. Nope the old beam jobbies will see me out thank you.

I settled on this:

Attachment 14105

does the job, as I'm seating one the next is being weighed.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

My loading bench of nearly 40 years.
    Different Uniflos set for various rifles.

Serious or what, what about secure storage of powder!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence ment.

I used to weigh all my loads but now use my Lee Powder Thrower, weigh every 10th but its never out (Varget).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Serious or what, what about secure storage of powder!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lock the door?

Holy cow H, that's the stuff of dreams. Wish I had a room like that. Hell at the rate of progression in my scheme of reloading it's never going to happen.

Offence taken !
    A cold, locked cellar.
    How much more security does the powder need ?
    Besides, few low-lifes would steal a few tubs of powder when a nice array of modern saleable electronic gear is available upstairs.

Last edited by stag1933; 30-03-2012 at 16:04.