Tikka lite 223

DanGriff

I have just bought a stainless tikka lite after some advise from some of you on here.
First of all, it's advertised as stainless but just looks as if it's plated, are they all like this?
Also it has 8" on the barrel, does this mean 1 in 8 twist rate?
If it does mean 1 in 8 does this mean it won't be as accurate with lighter bullets such as 40gr?
The barrel needs threading, so while I am getting this done it would be the best time to get the barrel to the correct length. I will mainly be shooting from a 4x4 with nightvision so the shorter the better but I don't want to spoil the rifle.
What length would you say would be the best for a small hunting rifle without loosing any performance in the rifle?

I use a T3 stainless 1/8 for foxing.
Yes 8" means 1/8" twist.
My 223 is a bit finicky with lighter bullets but still groups around an inch with most but seems to prefer 69gr.
At around 20" she'd still shoot fine.
edi

20 inches will be fine. i take it is 24 inches at the moment ? as for the 40 grain bullets you can only try them and see how they shoot in the 1 in 8 twist

My T3 .223 is down to 17" and easily holds 5/8inch groups, why use 40grn. bullets, I use 60grn V-Max and get great results, Basil doesn,t like them.

Brora 260

Thanks for your answers,
The reason I ask about 40gr is that the only ammo I could get in the shop was 40gr v max and 55gr ppu.
I don't reload but know someone that is going to do some for me when I have some empty cases.
I am hoping it will be ok with the ppu and then I won't have to worry about reloading for the time being. I will try and swap the 40gr for a heavier bullet.
I was hoping to get the length down to about 18 inches.

Thanks for your answers,
The reason I ask about 40gr is that the only ammo I could get in the shop was 40gr v max and 55gr ppu.
I don't reload but know someone that is going to do some for me when I have some empty cases.
I am hoping it will be ok with the ppu and then I won't have to worry about reloading for the time being. I will try and swap the 40gr for a heavier bullet.
I was hoping to get the length down to about 18 inches.

are you looking to shoot some longer range targets with it etc. if so then the 1 in 8 twist is great for pushing the heavier bullets with better bc.
if you are then i wouldn't cut it to short. as you will want to keep some extra length to keep fps speeds up

are you looking to shoot some longer range targets with it etc. if so then the 1 in 8 twist is great for pushing the heavier bullets with better bc.
if you are then i wouldn't cut it to short. as you will want to keep some extra length to keep fps speeds up

exactly

I don't plan to shoot any further than 200 yards, this will be used with a night vision add on so hopefully Charlie should be called in much closer.
Would 18 inches be ok using 50gr/55gr bullets out to 200 yards.

you loose about 100 fps per inch.not going to be a problem shooting to 200 yds.shortening the barrel can sometimes improve accuracy with less barrel whip.just be sure you won't fancy a bit of long range work further down the line.

i had a 222 at 18 inches and it shot superb. if you only need it for 200 yards then i would go for a 12 twist shooting 50's or 55's. you should get more speed out of them then a 8 twist.

go for 20 inches with over barrel mod if you want to keep the rifle compact

I have a varmint .223 heavey 19" barrel and it loves 55grn Remington accutip. Also I use a 6.5 tikka lightweight and use120grn Norma ballistic tip there is little to choose in accuracy between them provided I am on target.
The varmint is topped with a Longbow night vision. And the lightweight has a 2.5-15x56 Z6i Swarovski. Both barrels were factory threaded for Mods.

I don't plan to shoot any further than 200 yards, this will be used with a night vision add on so hopefully Charlie should be called in much closer.
Would 18 inches be ok using 50gr/55gr bullets out to 200 yards.

What Nv add on are you going to be using ? i use the 50gn vmax with 24gn vit 135 shoots around 3000fps as i had lower the charge due to either muzzle flash or recoil damage on my old 760...so beware of that also...last thing you want is damage your NV.

Mick

Back