part 2 of my big six

Well here goes,last Wednesday i was invited to Hampshire to shoot muntjac. I didn't know the lie of the land or even how these fantastic little deer behave.So met the keeper at 8 am, he took me to a pen and i used a buttalo caller to see if there was any about. After about an hour he moved me somewhere else a 3 acre wood at the top of a hill, again i set off looking stopping calling but still no muntjac.Eventually i came to this large pit with shrubs in and really not knowing what i was doing, i lied down behind a fallen tree and started to call.About 5 seconds later a very good muntjac buck came out of the pit followed by two doe's, my rifle was lied beside me. I realised if i moved it would've seen me so i just watched as it sniffed the air and moved off. I lifted the rifle but no chance of a shot. I carried on calling, saw another 3 includeing a baby, still no safe shot on any of the muntjac. Then approximatley 30 walkers went passed makeing enough noise to wake the dead, so i called the keeper and was moved to my third location, a 5 acre wood down by the river, near where i started. I started to stalk through, got to a fairly thick area in the middle started to call. Again a huge muntjac came to the edge of the cover and stood there. I had him in my sights for about 5 minutes then he turned giving me a nice broad side safe shot, so i took it. The bullet must have glanced the branch on its way through as no impact. To end the first day i went back back up to the original part and finally got a young roe doe, a yearling.
So Thursday night i finished work came home had my tea, shower, and then headed off to Hampshire. For what was one of the most uncomfortable nights ever. I slept in my car to get an early start as now i had a rough idea of what i was doing. So i woke up at 5.30, quick mouthful of coffee loaded up the 22250 with 55gn ballistic tips and went in search of my muntjac. I got to the game cover and realised the wind was blowing behind me just as 2 muntjac sped out of the game crop. So i walked around to the 3 acre wood, where i'd seen the 7 before, crept in down wind and tried the caller(no joy). I decided that they must have worked out what the caller was and were now scared of it. So i left the caller in the car and went to the big wood by the river, met the keeper, told him i'd seen nothing other than roe at the top. Then he told me as its so dry they would've moved closer to the river. So i started in a long game crop and saw a mature roe doe and left her to go. Then walked through a gate at the end, as the wind was blowing over my right shoulder decided to walk along the river bank which would get me down wind of the wood. As i walked past a summer house looking down a ride was my first shootable muntjac, stood there looking at me. No time for sticks, i shoulder'd the rifle crosshairs on his powerhouse, Squeezed a satisfying thud, and he was down. So i waited a minute then walked in on him, he'd already gone. I couldn't believe my luck, my first muntjac, a nice little buck in good condition. I set about the grollach cleaned him out, phoned the keeper to let him know i shot one. Then i hocked his back legs and hung him from a tree in a windy spot. I washed my hands in the river and set off into the larger wood. I stalked this wood for approximatly an hour and a half, sat in the high seat, but nothing. Then decided to take the keeper for a well deserved pub lunch. The afternoon came so i decided to go back up the top bit and walk around to see if the muntjac were there. No muntjac, just 4 roe doe's, Which i decided were to heavy and headed back down to where i'd seen the muntjac in the morning. Its now about 5 o'clock so i went to the high seat and sat there for about an hour. I saw nothing and decided to head back to the car for a drink and wait for the last light, to stand in the corner of 2 fields and wait and see what happend. On my way back to where i'd hung the first muntjac, i noticed a small shape at the bottom of the tree, i thought it was a muntjac doe, it saw me and started off towards the cover. I hid behind a tree, i could just about make it out in the distance, so i worked my way towards it on my hands and knees to a bigger tree, stood up behind it, looked through the scope, and it was still standing there looking at me. I rested the rifle against the tree again and fired heart and lung shot.The bullet struck hard but it ran back into the cover, and then i could hear it thrashing in the undergrowth. So i made off towards it looked under some bushes, and i could see the white tail, lying motionless. I reached in dragged it out to discover it was infact another buck, with a much larger head than the first one. Wow! was i excited. I decided that enough was enough, i'd had a fantastic day, grollach'd my second and made my way back to the car. I've taken the muntjac to my friends house, he's had a look at the second, and decided at may be worth a measure. Just to finish I can't express enough the kindness off Kevin the keeper for giving me the chance to see, stalk, and shoot what is defiantly one of the most challenging deer i've ever had the pleasure to come across.

Last edited:
They certainly are tricky little customers. never still for long. Nice read, and glad to hear you opened your account on the muntjac.
buckup

thanks buckup yeah but bloody fun tho and i think if you can stalk these in the wood anything else should be easy now

Last edited:
Devonfoxer just a bit of friendly advice you mentioned "55gn Ballistic Tips" as ive never came across these in Hunting form i can only assume them to be Varmint one's !!!!!!! if so may i surjest you rethink about your ammo for shooting DEER

Well here goes,last Wednesday i was invited to Hampshire to shoot muntjac. I didn't know the lie of the land or even how these fantastic little deer behave.So met the keeper at 8 am, he took me to a pen and i used a buttalo caller to see if there was any about. After about an hour he moved me somewhere else a 3 acre wood at the top of a hill, again i set off looking stopping calling but still no muntjac.Eventually i came to this large pit with shrubs in and really not knowing what i was doing, i lied down behind a fallen tree and started to call.About 5 seconds later a very good muntjac buck came out of the pit followed by two doe's, my rifle was lied beside me. I realised if i moved it would've seen me so i just watched as it sniffed the air and moved off. I lifted the rifle but no chance of a shot. I carried on calling, saw another 3 includeing a baby, still no safe shot on any of the muntjac. Then approximatley 30 walkers went passed makeing enough noise to wake the dead, so i called the keeper and was moved to my third location, a 5 acre wood down by the river, near where i started. I started to stalk through, got to a fairly thick area in the middle started to call. Again a huge muntjac came to the edge of the cover and stood there. I had him in my sights for about 5 minutes then he turned giving me a nice broad side safe shot, so i took it. The bullet must have glanced the branch on its way through as no impact. To end the first day i went back back up to the original part and finally got a young roe doe, a yearling.
So Thursday night i finished work came home had my tea, shower, and then headed off to Hampshire. For what was one of the most uncomfortable nights ever. I slept in my car to get an early start as now i had a rough idea of what i was doing. So i woke up at 5.30, quick mouthful of coffee loaded up the 22250 with 55gn ballistic tips and went in search of my muntjac. I got to the game cover and realised the wind was blowing behind me just as 2 muntjac sped out of the game crop. So i walked around to the 3 acre wood, where i'd seen the 7 before, crept in down wind and tried the caller(no joy). I decided that they must have worked out what the caller was and were now scared of it. So i left the caller in the car and went to the big wood by the river, met the keeper, told him i'd seen nothing other than roe at the top. Then he told me as its so dry they would've moved closer to the river. So i started in a long game crop and saw a mature roe doe and left her to go. Then walked through a gate at the end, as the wind was blowing over my right shoulder decided to walk along the river bank which would get me down wind of the wood. As i walked past a summer house looking down a ride was my first shootable muntjac, stood there looking at me. No time for sticks, i shoulder'd the rifle crosshairs on his powerhouse, Squeezed a satisfying thud, and he was down. So i waited a minute then walked in on him, he'd already gone. I couldn't believe my luck, my first muntjac, a nice little buck in good condition. I set about the grollach cleaned him out, phoned the keeper to let him know i shot one. Then i hocked his back legs and hung him from a tree in a windy spot. I washed my hands in the river and set off into the larger wood. I stalked this wood for approximatly an hour and a half, sat in the high seat, but nothing. Then decided to take the keeper for a well deserved pub lunch. The afternoon came so i decided to go back up the top bit and walk around to see if the muntjac were there. No muntjac, just 4 roe doe's, Which i decided were to heavy and headed back down to where i'd seen the muntjac in the morning. Its now about 5 o'clock so i went to the high seat and sat there for about an hour. I saw nothing and decided to head back to the car for a drink and wait for the last light, to stand in the corner of 2 fields and wait and see what happend. On my way back to where i'd hung the first muntjac, i noticed a small shape at the bottom of the tree, i thought it was a muntjac doe, it saw me and started off towards the cover. I hid behind a tree, i could just about make it out in the distance, so i worked my way towards it on my hands and knees to a bigger tree, stood up behind it, looked through the scope, and it was still standing there looking at me. I rested the rifle against the tree again and fired heart and lung shot.The bullet struck hard but it ran back into the cover, and then i could hear it thrashing in the undergrowth. So i made off towards it looked under some bushes, and i could see the white tail, lying motionless. I reached in dragged it out to discover it was infact another buck, with a much larger head than the first one. Wow! was i excited. I decided that enough was enough, i'd had a fantastic day, grollach'd my second and made my way back to the car. I've taken the muntjac to my friends house, he's had a look at the second, and decided at may be worth a measure. Just to finish I can't express enough the kindness off Kevin the keeper for giving me the chance to see, stalk, and shoot what is defiantly one of the most challenging deer i've ever had the pleasure to come across.

The Buttolo brought you your first sighting so dont give up with the caller use it in a high seat you may get better opportunity of a shot as you are hidden off the ground. Well done

Jimbo :thumb:

Back