whats this all about ??

bobjs

I have a mate who had a visit from his new feo,

on seeing he had a slot for a rifle and mod he said to him,

WHY DO YOU HAVE AN EMPTY SLOT, this should be filled asap,

the young chap was gob smacked,

i said i am sure you can fill the slot when you want, as long as its filled before your next renewal, as they will remove it if its not filled,

whats your thoughts on this ?

bob.

As far as I was aware Bob, the slot to purchase a rifle/calibre can be filled any time before the next renewal, as you say.

I understand that in my area they are only allowing 6 months to take up the slot - I wait with bated breath as I have just submitted a renewal and asked for a 0.2 c/f - see if they give me a time restriction.....watch this space.

Can only echo what the others have said, i didnt fill a slot for .22 air, on renewal they asked if i wanted it keeping , i didnt so my choice to drop it. You can just say that current financial climate hasnt allowed me to fill it ,

cheers lads.

seems this new feo to this area has his own ideas,

;)

i can't wait until he comes to see me.

bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
A slot will run for the duration of the certificate, even if it is a variation added any time during the lifetime of the FAC.
Licensing offices have no authority to demand that the slot be filled within a certain time under the threat of removal of that slot.
However, on expirey it is customery to remove that slot if no request is made to keep it.

Ian.

There is no need to fill the slot immediately. The only argument for removal at renewal is that you don't need it. Remember that what you have to show to get a slot on your ticket is "good reason" NOT "need". Bob, pm me the name of the FEO please mate.

There is no need to fill the slot immediately. The only argument for removal at renewal is that you don't need it. Remember that what you have to show to get a slot on your ticket is "good reason" NOT "need". Bob, pm me the name of the FEO please mate.

hi Matt

ill drop you a pm asap.

he has moved in to help out Glyn, seems he is a bit of a prat frightening new ticket holders with this bull5h1t.

bob.

slots do not run indefinitely nor do they have to be filled "immediately"!

Indeed L&B will review a slot after 2 years and discuss removal at that point (straight from the horse's mouth)
In their defence if you havent done anything with it in 2 years do you REALLY need it?

that said an empty slot can be very useful for a quick one for one.

I agree a slot is for the duration of the FAC. However when I was in Kent I was told, verbally, that I had to fill a slot in six months or it would be withdrawn. I was buying a rifle at the time so it was not vacant for more than 24 hours!

Police officers aroung the country follow their own interpretation of the law, often in direct contravention of the statute. ( before we start another police hating tiff, there are some very good ones out there)

I just filled one of my spare slots on my Fac last month for another .22 and my fac is due for renewal in june/july. Empty slots last as long as the Fac (5years) and can be rolled over on to your next Fac if required as i have done in the past!#
Bob

I also had on a few previous occasions been told that the slot needs filling with in 3 months. Of course no surprise there.

The only troublesome one was the .243 Midland 2100 fro South Wales as the RFD down there proved to be a right greedy pillock. By the time he added his commission on the sale, the rifle was in storage, he wanted £75 on a £225 sale. He then wanted £25 to put the rifle in a box and another £15 for a second hand cardboard rifle box, then he wanted £35 transfer fee and I had to get the copy of the receiving RFD and send it to him as he could not spare the time to phone of fax himself.

The rifle he had tried to sell for 18 months without success........................................ I wonder why. I refuse to pay his stupid amount and the rifle finally became mine a year or so later when the owner went in and chewed him out about it. We wondered if he was angling to get the rifle free but to what ends as he himself claimed it would not sell as no one wants those old things as he put it.

I have a slot for a mod for my 30-06 and it has been on my last 3 certificates.
Had very nearly the same thing with my 30-06, had it on the last 2 renewals (largely as I always promising myself I'd get one built). Of course money/time etc etc. years go by very quickly! (mind you I have finally bought it, a Tikka T3 with a very very very nice PSE composite stock! just waiting now for it to come back from being threaded so I can work up some loads.)
Avon & Somerset were very relaxed about the time scale involved, never batted an eyelid

In Fife they allow you a reasonable amount of time to fill your space, they are very realistic with time-scales.

Bewsher, who cares if you really need the slot? I'll say it again, NEED has nothing to do with it. You have to show "good reason" (it specifically says NOT to be equated with need) and that good reason doesn't mean that you need the rifle now. Perhaps you were in a financial position to buy the rifle, but between applying and getting the variation your finances changed and you couldn't afford it there and then. Why should you be punished by the removal of the slot?

The BASC guidance states that conditions which set arbitrary time limits for the acquisition of weapons should be resisted, and I agree. Any condition they wish to impose must meet the tests (well, they are meant to anyway)

You have paid the £26 to get the slot, why should you lose that for not buying the rifle within some arbitrary period?

Bewsher, who cares if you really need the slot? Why should you be punished by the removal of the slot?

you are not being punished by L&B, that is why I said they discuss it with you. they dont just take it off or apply a time limit, but if you applied to purchase a rifle and two years later have not if I was your FEO I would want to know why also!

Back