Back to soft points

paulmoto

HI I have recently moved back to soft points having used ballistic tips for long range fox shooting for the past 5 yrs I generally used 22-250 55gr Rem Acutips moving now to 53gr Norma SP. I have found the soft points very effective the knock down power seems to be far superior compared to the heavier Acutips with little or no change in accuracy. Has any body else had a similar experience ??
Thanks Paul

I use Sierra 1360's (55gr SP's) in my 22-250 on munties, CWD, fox, crows, rabbits, magpies etc and find them very accurate with excellent killing ability and much prefer their overall performance to V-max.

Also, compared to other more exotic fodder, cheap too.

one could argue that standard soft points are perfectly adequate for any game in the UK, for basically any shot, H/L, head/neck, etc. I think manufacturers are building ranges of other bullet designs, not to create better 'tools for the job' but to differentiate from each other to win business, when in fact, the old cup and core design will work just fine.

..mind, a BT that heavily fragments does have less chance of a pass through, which may be desirable on foxes at night where you can't always be 100% certain about backstops (even though you SHOULD be!).

There was a time before ballistic tip bullets and soft points were the standard for game hunting. I have never shot a "ballistic tip" at a head of big game and never felt the lack.~Muir

I use Sierra 1360's (55gr SP's) in my 22-250 on munties, CWD, fox, crows, rabbits, magpies etc and find them very accurate with excellent killing ability and much prefer their overall performance to V-max.

Also, compared to other more exotic fodder, cheap too.

Do you get a lot of carcas damage from using Varminter heads on Deer instead of 1365 Gamekings.

Jimbo

I use the best price s/p i can get s&b, sierra, any 55gr - dead is dead, I have no intrest in the fox damage ;)

Do you get a lot of carcas damage from using Varminter heads on Deer instead of 1365 Gamekings.

Jimbo

No.

I have worked in the US for several years and the 1360's were on offer at Midway so I thought I would buy a few boxes for fox etc, but finding the lack of damage / exit carnage I started to use them on small deer and they are very effective with excellent expansion, weight retention and knock down.

I always take heart / lung shots and when gralloching a muntie recently there was no exit wound but what was left of the heart was (at a guess) 20% of the original organ. It dropped on the spot and gave one leg twitch. The 1360's are seriously worth trying.

I use the best price s/p i can get s&b, sierra, any 55gr - dead is dead, I have no intrest in the fox damage ;)

The reason I asked the question was I DON'T eat Foxes but I do eat the Deer I shoot. 1360 Varminter rounds I have used on Fox but I always used 1365 Gamekings on Roe, Muntjac and CWD with little or no carcas damage from engine room shots.

Jimbo

I have been using 55grn Dogtown SP's on Munty, fox etc for years (about 7p each).
The only time there is excessive carcass damage is if I hit the shoulder on the way in.

Back