Fast handling rifle

Frax

I was waiting for a bunch of beasts to come into the garden of a nearby house te other night, I had my Mannlicher Pro with me...mod, bipod etc. Now, it all seemed a bit unwealdy in the relatively confined space (max range 50m) and I came to thinking that I need something that handles more like a shotgun and will stop a beast on the spot.

Might also see duty for boar and black bear.

Any suggestions for rifles/calibres?

Think I've seen one that may just tick the boxes. :)

Weight, 7lb, 22 inch barrel, QD scope or flip up iron sights. Set trigger if required.

7x57 rimmed for deer and anything else you care to mention, next barrel handles 16 gauge slug or shot, last barrel is either 16 gauge or has an insert .22 LR barrel that groups to an inch at 70yds.

Sauer.jpg

Handles like a shotgun!...... and its mine!

Rgds Ian :D

nice looking bit of kit Ian
but what is the scope set up for ?
more to the point why
i took the scope of my 30-30 and now use only open sights
qicker to place a point of aim and still very accurate
just wondered thats all
regards
stone

stone said:
nice looking bit of kit Ian
but what is the scope set up for ?
more to the point why

Scope is only really needed for night work or shots over 100 yds. Having said that, it is also an aid when shooting small vermin over 50yds.

Otherwise, the benefit of a bare firearm is its quick handling in 'shotgun' mode. Select rifle mode and the sights automatically rise up from the rib to enable 2" groups at 100. More than enough accuracy for big game.

Rgds Ian :)

Merkel Combi 12 over 7x57R . 2.3-7 variable Kalhes scope. Shoots slug to bullet point of aim at 50 mtrs. under 2" group with slug As Ian F said will handle any thing you will come across. Drilling or combi only way to go ;) .
firstpics319.jpg

Combi002.jpg

That merkel and drilling do look very nice pieces of kit. Have always desired one, but how accurate are they, or more to the point how accurate are yours. Do they have they accuracy to take out deer or other mountain game out to 200 yds, or are they really a short range proposition - ie for mixed driven game.

Heym SR20

My drilling will group to about 1 - 1.5" at 100 yds - have not shot it for group at 200, but I can do the mathematics! It's easily good to 200+.

So, truly an all purpose tool.

It's a constant source of wonder that over in Europe they are regarded as a 'must have' for the well equipped hunter. Over here they are almost completely unknown!

Rgds Ian

I have a Unifrance La Solitaire express rifle (O/U double rifle) in 8x57JRS and that too will give a 3 shot 1" group at 100 yds from each of the barrels, though at this range the two groups are usually about 3" apart.
If I just use the top barrel as my primary barrel then it is quite accurate, and this would be acceptable out to 200yds easily.
The rifle is quite short and is really designed for two fast shots at up to 50M, it mounts swiftly and instinctively and is a pleasure to use for what it was designed for.
I enjoy using this rifle very much and think it is the ideal rifle for it's intended purpose, however for general stalking in the U.K. I think a bolt action is probably the best choice.
Not to say that I am not bitten by the bug for doubles or combinations, and will possibly be looking for a 12bore / 9.3x74R combination at some time in the future.

Nice bit's of kit there gents but perhas a bit pricey for me...might go down the 444 lever gun route.

Thanks for the info.

The Merkel combi is one of the most accurate weapons i have ever owned. The first shot from the rifle barrel will hit a half inch square at 100 mtrs. the second shot is an inch above and the third another inch higher. Its the first shot that counts ;) . It shoots slugs to the same point as th bullet at 50 mtrs and will do a 2" group. at 25 mtrs a dose of #1s is just a little to the right but not enough to worry about. It has a superb set trigger
It The weapon i use for all my roe hunting either from a high seat or hunting with the dog.
Moose calf shot with the Merkel
lgkalv-1.jpg

Roebuck2008005.jpg

Thanks for your comments on accuracy - they do seem very nice rifles, especially the Merkel. They also make very nice shotguns - I use an AYA Coral over and under, which I believe where in fact made by Merkel during the cold war and then shipped to Spain for finishing.

Do you ever find the single shot nature of a combination gun a problem in the field. I know that first shot is the one that counts, but I have had occasion to need a second quick shot.

I've never had a problem with only one shot. Since 1978 till last year when i bought the Mauser M03 i used my Heym-Ruger HR30 single shot for all my stalking. the heym-ruger now needs rebarreling. If i still stalked in England i would not have bought a bolt action rifle. It is a disadvantage to shoot the running moose range with a single shot and as I'm shooting 50 rounds in a afternoon a bolt action is much better plus if the barrel wears out it takes 2 minutes to change a barrel.
The Merkel comes into its own when hunting roe with the dog. If the roe are under 30 mtrsi use the shot barrel past 30 mtrs they get the bullet. Also handy on a couple of places where i hunt the dog as boar are just as likely to appear as roe.
I have also got a Merkel 201E shot gun.

Back