landrover defender price check

ksb

hi guys

I am seriously considering a landrover defender 90 that a friend is selling. it is 87 with a 2.5 TDI 200 engine. i want to use it as a shooting vehicle although it has been modified for serious off roading. forgive my lack of knowledge but It comes with a high rise suspension kit, snorkel, re-breather, winch , rollbars etc. the general condition is very good with a solid bulkhead and chassis. recently mot'ed. He is looking £2800 and i remember seeing it when he bought it last year and thinking it was a great jeep for the money. He is taking flying lessons at the moment and doesn't use the jeep as much as he had planned and i suppose with the current economical environment he doesn't want it sitting around gathering dust.

I know it is hard to say without seeing the jeep but do you think £2800 is a fair price or is it off the mark

thanks
keith

hi guys

I am seriously considering a landrover defender 90 that a friend is selling. it is 87 with a 2.5 TDI 200 engine. i want to use it as a shooting vehicle although it has been modified for serious off roading. forgive my lack of knowledge but It comes with a high rise suspension kit, snorkel, re-breather, winch , rollbars etc. the general condition is very good with a solid bulkhead and chassis. recently mot'ed. He is looking £2800 and i remember seeing it when he bought it last year and thinking it was a great jeep for the money. He is taking flying lessons at the moment and doesn't use the jeep as much as he had planned and i suppose with the current economical environment he doesn't want it sitting around gathering dust.

I know it is hard to say without seeing the jeep but do you think £2800 is a fair price or is it off the mark

thanks
keith

Keith

There are shockingingly poor motors going for more momey than that! One thing about old Landy's is someone somewhere always seem to want one.

My mechanic who is into Landy's told me to go for a 300tdi if I could get one and was lucky that a friend was selling his at the time, owned since new. Failing that a 200tdi.

You will keep it running for a fraction of the cost of Japanese motors and seriously capable off road. I have owned 3 now and several Japanese to compare them to. Only thing against them is they are not comfortable on long journeys on the road, but then again they were never designed for that.

The comedians will be on soon saying just as well they are cheap to repair. :lol:

i know what you mean about repairs . i have a disco 3 at the moment and i am afraid to turn the key as it is like playing russian roulette with warning lights etc. i am looking something that i can work at myself, if i go for a nissan or mitshibushi etc then i am in the same boat as i am now with the disco 3, they are too complicated for the normal guy off the street.

thanks for the reply, when my friend bought it he mentioned he got receipts for about £6k worth of extras, if i take this as an over estimate and believe that he got receipts showing £3k of work then it would still be a good jeep for the money.

keith

i know what you mean about repairs . i have a disco 3 at the moment and i am afraid to turn the key as it is like playing russian roulette with warning lights etc. i am looking something that i can work at myself, if i go for a nissan or mitshibushi etc then i am in the same boat as i am now with the disco 3, they are too complicated for the normal guy off the street.

thanks for the reply, when my friend bought it he mentioned he got receipts for about £6k worth of extras, if i take this as an over estimate and believe that he got receipts showing £3k of work then it would still be a good jeep for the money.

keith

200 or 300 according to mechanics are as you say a doddle to work on. TD5 great motor for power but complicated by comparison I am told.

Loose the snorkel though.... Unless of course you are really fording rivers

landrover

As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them, ok parts are cheap,they need to be you will need loads they gobble them,if you are not mechanicaly minded make sure you have a mate/garage willing to do work at a reasonable price as you will be using their services rather a lot, if you use it frequently it will need constant attention and parts,if you make the mistake of using it infrequently it will develop faults when you do use it, nothing likes to be stood especially Landys, if on the other hand you buy something Jap and take care of it, it will go on and on requiring far less attention and fewer bits come mot time,all that said they are good fun,hold their value well,and are easy enough to work on, I would wave 2500 quid under his nose if you really must have it, sorry to sound so negative about them but 12 years working on them and running several has made me quite a realist im afraid,its Jap for me now im afraid,but good luck mate enjoy:tiphat:

Park it round here without an armed guard or at least a good security system and you'll lose more than the snorkel. If it's owt like should be well worth the money.

I like the look of defenders and disco's, but let's be honest, they are FAMOUS for being crap quality and are probably two of the worst quality cars still in production, and that includes safety. the Disco's I can forgive, because the prices reflect their 'quality', the overly inflated prices for 2nd hand (and new) defenders I cannot forgive, nor comprehend! something that needs constant repairs, is uncomfortable to drive, that rusts and leaks, etc. etc. costing MORE than a great japanese car that has almost no problems and is comfortable, AND safe!,,What is going on here, ''wool over eyes''...

as my mechanic in the borders says to me...don't EVER buy anything that begins with 'Land'..they're the best customers though!

..of course,,,I'm currently looking for a cheap Disco:oops: but that's because they're cheap...

As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them, ok parts are cheap,they need to be you will need loads they gobble them,if you are not mechanicaly minded make sure you have a mate/garage willing to do work at a reasonable price as you will be using their services rather a lot, if you use it frequently it will need constant attention and parts,if you make the mistake of using it infrequently it will develop faults when you do use it, nothing likes to be stood especially Landys, if on the other hand you buy something Jap and take care of it, it will go on and on requiring far less attention and fewer bits come mot time,all that said they are good fun,hold their value well,and are easy enough to work on, I would wave 2500 quid under his nose if you really must have it, sorry to sound so negative about them but 12 years working on them and running several has made me quite a realist im afraid,its Jap for me now im afraid,but good luck mate enjoy:tiphat:

I could not agree with you more Hornet I have driven Landrover for the last 12 years and can't wait for my new Toyota Hilux to arrive. I never thought I would see the day I went Japanese but I just got fed up of Landy problems and the expence of fixing them when the warranty period expired. This last one a Defender 110 is 2 years old and Landrover have had it back for warranty works totaling 6 months need I say more. I would not recomend one get yourself something else.

Jimbo

hi guys

thanks
keith

I've been there and done it mate if you want to be cold,frost on the inside,break down regularly,weld,replace parts etc etc get a defender and mine was a good one all told,my girlfriend has got a 90 puma now that is a cracker but 10x the price, I've got a L200 with snug top now and have never regretted it since it's been everything the defender was not apart from one thing its not got and that's CHARACTER,that is a good price for that vehicle though mate .......

"As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them"

Thats handy to know Hornet do you still work on them at home ? DF​

Last edited:
"As an ex Landrover mechanic I like to think I know a thing or two about them"

Thats handy to know Hornet do you still work on them at home ? DF​
Occasionally yes in a curb side motors fashion, still get the odd welding job on series stuff ect, but having a full time job means my hands are quite soft and white compared with a few years ago:rofl: like a lot of people I love the look of them but just got sick to the back teeth of constantly laying under my own, so the next 4x4 I get will be Jap Im afraid,the quality of the bits even after market stuff is soooo much better, for example a few years back a customer needed a water pump fitting to his s111 diesel,I did the job and 3 days later back it comes with water leaking out of the littls hole below the impeller,to cut a long story short I did the job 6 times with a brand new pump with the same result each time,so in the end I fitted a second hand pump of unknown vintage,job done,and as far as I know its still on now, the aftermarket parts are crap,stuff like track rod ends ect dont last 5 minutes and the power steering boxes leak after a couple of years [if you get a good one] my mate has a 20 year old pajero and the box is as dry as the day it was made,but for the man with spanners and a mig welder they are a lot of fun.

hornet you have me worried now. The reason i am looking at an old 4x4 ( hope you approve paddy_SP ) my office is a 230 mile round trip and i need to be there a couple of times a week, the mileage isnt good for my current discovery and it will be worthless in a few years. i hope to get a company car and then buy an old 4x4 for shooting only. i sold a l200 4life a few years ago to a local guy and i could probably get it back again for a lot cheaper than the price of this defender if you think this would be a better option to go down. i also drove a isuzu denver dmax for a couple of years which i liked so i am not totally against jap cars but wanted to avoid anything that i couldnt have a good go at repairing myself. but i dont want to spend more time under the landrover than driving it.

hornet you have me worried now. The reason i am looking at an old 4x4 ( hope you approve paddy_SP ) my office is a 230 mile round trip and i need to be there a couple of times a week, the mileage isnt good for my current discovery and it will be worthless in a few years. i hope to get a company car and then buy an old 4x4 for shooting only. i sold a l200 4life a few years ago to a local guy and i could probably get it back again for a lot cheaper than the price of this defender if you think this would be a better option to go down. i also drove a isuzu denver dmax for a couple of years which i liked so i am not totally against jap cars but wanted to avoid anything that i couldnt have a good go at repairing myself. but i dont want to spend more time under the landrover than driving it.

230 mile round trip a couple of times a week...I've driven a few defenders, and can tell you it will be unpleasant, slow, and cost a fortune in recovery services! LOL then again, you'll be getting to know the TVR crowd from roadside chat-time!

230 mile round trip a couple of times a week...I've driven a few defenders, and can tell you it will be unpleasant, slow, and cost a fortune in recovery services! LOL then again, you'll be getting to know the TVR crowd from roadside chat-time!
Very true,I hate to **** on anyones bonfire and your money is yours to spend,but I am speaking from experience, if you buy an old Landy,I dont care what it has had done to it [within reason] it will be an unreliable, noisey,cash gobbling,frustrating nightmare,there is no such thing as a cheap 4x4,but a Landy is the worst of them all,but again I have to admit my warped mind still has a sneaking regard for them,the only way I would own one now,is if money was no object,Id shoehorne a big yank v8 in it and have it as a toy,but if you must have one mate then go for it but make sure you are in the AA ect, I think your idea of getting your old l200 back is a very good one.

i have no intention of driving a defender to work, especially one with a high rise kit and a snorkel. the defender is for shooting only , i am selling my discovery and will either buy a car ( god forbid) or get a company car.

i have no intention of driving a defender to work, especially one with a high rise kit and a snorkel. the defender is for shooting only , i am selling my discovery and will either buy a car ( god forbid) or get a company car.
In that case mate against all my dire warnings,if it would not be the end of the world if it was off the road then get the damn thing, and enjoy, if you dont mind skinned knuckles and the smell of gearbox oil they are a good shooting vehicle,a good liberal aplication of slick 50 ect engine and gearbox! especially is a good idea,as most of the oil will **** out every few hundred miles and it will act as a good safety net until you can fill it up again,best of luck with it mate:thumb:

if you do get it then, will you send me some lightly used engine oil as I need it for treating a barrelled action after rust bluing? LOL..only joking

Must stand up for the Defender. I have owned my present Td5 for just over 4 years. Engine wise a bit more complicated than the 300Tdi/200Tdi but with now over 100,000 on the clock has never let me down once. Ok Not the most comfortable motor, heaters are not good in winter and the wipers are something else but off road there is no Jap motor made that will come anywhere near it. If anybody wants the challenge no problems. Yes I have carried out a few repairs - new UJ joints on prop shaft, discs and pads, shock absorbers, changed the bushes on the suspension, couple of brake pipes but hey this is a nearly 13 year old motor and the parts I am changing are the originals. Serviced regularly using Lad Rover parts and I reckon there is at least another 100,000 in it.

£2800 is just a bit on the dear side for me but if in good nick will get that all day long.

Back