Pre '64 Winchester short action stock needed - will the latest winchester ones fit ?

lincolnjefferies

Pre '64 Winchester stock needed - will the latest winchester ones fit ?

Pre '64 Winchester short action stock wanted - or will the latest winchester ones fit ?
I have a mint condition 1938 winchester mod 70, but the woodwork on it, with its cross hatched steel buttplate, is in just too perfect condition to use for lamping, as even though I look after my guns very well, accidents do happen in the dark - plus I don't want to be agonising over my rifle all the time.
I think Winchester have gone back to the pre 64' action now, so will these latest stocks fit ?
Cheers

Last edited:
There is no such a thing as a "Short Action" Pre 64 Model 70. They are all the same with the magazine adjusted for different cartridge lengths. Can't tell you if the current (FN) model will work.~Muir

Thank you Muir for the correction ! I bet the info is out there in the states

CIMG9749.jpgCIMG9748.jpgCIMG9750.jpg

Heres some pics - oh for the joys of snow and days off from working to idle away ! Its a .22 Hornet with an old Leupold variable scope.

Last edited:
There were THREE main action types/lengths - and EIGHT variations of magazine box length - and FIVE different lengths of follower

I can scan the relevant pages (100-103) from "Rifleman's Rifle", by Roger Rule, if that will be of use?

What caliber is your 1938 Mod. 70?
Mine is "30-Gov't-06", Super Grade, with Lyman 48WJS rearsight. Mine is a 5 digit seral no. #19***, clip slotted, with just the front of the receiver drilled & tapped for a scope base. I got a special Stith base a while back but have not fitted it yet - that would allow fitting an old Lyman Alaskan without modifying the gun. Would love to get a pre-'64 Bull Gun in the same caliber as I have a Unertl scope sitting waiting.

IF I was after a stock for my Mod 70 I would bite the bullet and get a new McMillan one. They make them for ANY action type -and have pre-64 & pre-war Mod. 70 options as standard.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you Saddler, thats a fine rifle you have there, especially a Supergrade ! Mine is a .22 hornet from I think 1938, with a five digit no. #22***.
Have wondered about obtaining the aperture sight that the action is drilled and tapped for. The Lyman Alaskan you mention for your 30-06 would be a very nice period outfit. Bet you had to look hard for an Unertl in the UK. I'm keen on vintage optics and mounts myself and have a Zeiss Zielklein with the rare duplex recticle - which would be interesting to try on the rifle, as these were popular hunting scopes in the 30's.
A McMillian stock in a light sporter profile would be ideal, but to be honest it would be quite an outlay for the little hornet, so would be looking for a takeoff factory stock off someones custom rifle !

Last edited:
.22 Hornet

12th in the rarity table, out of the 19 listed calibers.
20,306 made in total, 3.49% of Mod 70 production. Made from 1937 to 1954.
Model # with std sight, G7001C - with the Lyman 48WJS, G7011C

Would be interested if you ever wanted to sell it - always wanted a .22 Hornet: so a pre-war Mod.70 would be my ideal find!!

That looks like a lovely old rifle in very good condition. I am guessing that it is worth a LOT more money in the States to a Model 70 collector than it is worth as a shooter here in the UK.

I would be doubtful if I would risk that rifle out lamping....:doh:

That looks like a lovely old rifle in very good condition. I am guessing that it is worth a LOT more money in the States to a Model 70 collector than it is worth as a shooter here in the UK.

I would be doubtful if I would risk that rifle out lamping....:doh:

Sort of - IF the rear of the receiver hadn't been drilled/tapped for the Lyman/Redfield scope base!! Ouch, poor gun...still, gotta be worth a few quid as a decent little woods rifle for fox, etc.

Thank you for the nice comments, will keep looking for a replacement stock for a little longer. Suppose it should be sold to a collector really and buy a sensible Cz American or an Anschutz 1730 instead, but to be honest I doubt I would be so lucky ever to find such an interesting hornet again, plus there would be the complexities of exporting it.
I might try posting on a US forum to see about stock compatibility.
Cheers

Looks like those are an expensive set of holes, here is a 1949 model in 22 Hornet, $3,695....ouch!!

http://daverifflegunsales.com.phtemp.com/images/guns/H778.html

If you look carefully the rifle in the link has the rear reciever tapped for a scope base !

I would imagine that nearly all of them have been done, as they are keen riflemen in the states. Apparently a lot of .22 hornet Mod 70's Winchesters were rechambered in the 50's to .222 when the new cartridge came out.

Back