Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OFAL - What do you do with it?

OFAL - What do you do with it?

As we all know, ofal seems not to everyones liking although I have to say, I love the kidneys and will always find a use for them [as well as some of the liver] but what do you all do with the livers? I have more than I need and can't seem to give it away lately and I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Any help would be appreciated fella's

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Local dog rescue might take them off your hands??

Helpful treats when they are trying to train a dog for rehoming...

1 deer liver, sliced thinly
    1 c. flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
    2 lg. onions, sliced
    Cooking oil

Place liver in freezer for 1 hour to make it easier for slicing. Using a thin bladed knife cut slices thinly as possible. Place the seasoned flour on a large piece of waxed paper. Heat one thick cup cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry for about five minutes.
    Place onions to one edge of pan. Coat each piece of liver with seasoned flour and fry for about four minutes (two minutes to each side). Don't over cook or liver will be touch. As each batch is cooked transfer it to pre-heated oven and keep warm. When all is cooked serve with onions on heated platter.

4 slices bacon
    1/2 lb. liver, venison or beef
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 c. chopped tomatoes
    1/4 tsp. cayenne
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. curry
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Dice bacon, fry until crisp and remove from fat. Slice liver into pieces about 1/2 x 2 inches. Dredge in flour and brown in bacon fat. Add remaining ingredients and bacon. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with spaghetti or rice. Serves 5.
    Or as TJ says donate it.

cooking oil....
    i use butter when frying the liver
    you hav to think about the cholestrol now ,you know
    RF get a bigger freezer or eat more offal

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    cooking oil....
    i use butter when frying the liver
    you hav to think about the cholestrol now ,you know
    RF get a bigger freezer or eat more offal
    Sorry all, forget the cooking oil and the butter. Use Carrotino oil. Made from red palm and Canola oil. Brilliant stuff!

Liver , bacon and onions. lovelly jubbly, and me 3 year old loves the stuff aswell. He will never be a veggie by the amonut of the stuff he eats

Roe-liver, slice it thin and lightly fry it with your bacon after a successful early morning stalk- delicious

I can't stand offal, the dogs like it though. Helps with the BARF diet

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

If you don't like liver, then cut it up into small cubes and cook it on a low heat in the oven until all the moisture has gone. You can then use these for dog treats - they love them!

I can tell you that as a small game processer/dealer we sell loads of offal from the deer that I shoot off of 2 seperate estates down here in Hampshire, the livers from Roe or yearling sized fallow are great.

This increases the retail value of a carcas by about 7.50, which is not big bucks I know but when you consider that some larger dealers are processing up to 500 deer a week then it soon adds up.

Larger buck sized livers are fine to add to pate but be warned if you feed too much to your dog it kind of comes out like a liver sized squishie dump & is black-not atall nice to be within 50 paces of!

Regs Lee