Non-stalking...steelhead fishing (loads of pics)

mtlion

Here are some pics from my steelhead fishing trip last week, as requested in another thread. They are sea run rainbow trout that stay in the salt for 1 to 3 years before running back to the freshwater. We fish using brightly colored steelhead and salmon flies that we tie ourselves. All of our fish get released after a quick photo session. Sorry there are so many pics :) I take a lot of pictures when I do stuff like this, I tried to limit it to fish pics but threw in a couple scenery shots as well.

3328a497.jpg

044307e9.jpg

84b58e98.jpg

b7728919.jpg

f8185323.jpg

336bd2f0.jpg

5b1cd173.jpg

a3c0f019.jpg

195093d1.jpg

4c630989.jpg

41abb399.jpg

a288135a.jpg

0469bfba.jpg

9b49b7fa.jpg

bbb4b5ce.jpg

d628a7de.jpg

260fc40d.jpg

315f32cb.jpg

bb30ff16.jpg

6de06dec.jpg

33569568.jpg

Superb pics Mtlion, they are on my wish list, or should i say bucket list!
We have the equivalent over here called the Sea Trout.
Cheers
Richard

Lovely fish. I have managed a few days in Alberta in the last few years - stunning area, even if the UK could fit in either state a few times over!

Would be nice to see some pics of the flies they were caught on, or the names if possible?

Cracking photo's mtlion :drool:. Those steelheads sure look fit for some great sport. Do you fish with light tackle or are you geared up with some stronger equipment.
Do some guiding myself on my local hill reservoir in the heart of Wales, flyfishing for triploid rainbows that have a main strain from America as the eggs are imported for the hatchery. Keep the pictures coming.
ATB Gaz

Wow! I didn't expect that much interest...Let's see, a variety of flies will work, we use egg patterns in various colors and a homemade version of something very similar to a polar shrimp or green butted skunk. We tie these flies in a variety of colors, this trip green and black were working well. Between the three of us on this trip one used an 8 weight rod, I used a 9 weight and another who likes to strong arm them used a ten weight...the guy with the ten weight landed the most, I had a bunch of fish break me off in fast water. Our leaders are from 12-15 lb test. Here is my wife with her first steelhead from a couple years ago, she caught it on a hand tied egg in bright pink.

024-1.jpg

025-2.jpg

Looking through those the skykomish sunrise comes the closest to my favorite and also the jackrabbit is close but we tie in a wide variety of colors and sizes for different conditions. We also do well sometimes on the egg sucking leech.

Always good to hear what works :)

They look impressive.:thumb:
What kind of weights are they ?
Fishing is not really my thing so please forgive my ignorance.

As a mad keen fly fisherman those picture look epic.It's something i would love to do.Not to dissimilar to our sewin fishing here in wales.
As a mater of interest when they come back up river do they come back to spawn, then return to sea?

Back