lightest load for 30-06

User00003

what's the lightest bullet load you guys have succesfully got to stabilise and group in a standard 1:10 30-06?

I'm thinking for varmint, not deer?

I have shot 70 grain pistol bullets at 1200 fps from my 30-40 using Unique powder. Accuracy was about an inch at 25 yards with open sights. This could be duplicated in a 30-06 as well.~Muir

you thinking I buy 30 cal pistol bullets in the 70g range and load in the aught six? could probably buy the bullets on a trip to the US, but not in the UK I don't think.

I would want to load the aught six with something super light for long range varminting on days with little wind, so thought the light bullets would allow me some extraordinary MV's.

what's the lightest we can here off the shelf here, 110g ish?

Muir, I know it's a long-shot, but you don't know any good stores in Wash.DC where I can buy bullets and all sorts of stuff including smithing tools? google doesn't seem to suggest anything...

should hopefull be heading there end of may

you thinking I buy 30 cal pistol bullets in the 70g range and load in the aught six? could probably buy the bullets on a trip to the US, but not in the UK I don't think.

I would want to load the aught six with something super light for long range varminting on days with little wind, so thought the light bullets would allow me some extraordinary MV's.

Muir, I know it's a long-shot, but you don't know any good stores in Wash.DC where I can buy bullets and all sorts of stuff including smithing tools? google doesn't seem to suggest anything...

For long range varminting! Well, that's a different story. I thought you meant like rabbits and such; "farm work" as I call it. Remember that lighter (shorter) bullets don't always reach out there. They bleed speed too fast. Were I to use the load I mentioned these days, I'd probably cast them. Yeah, I'm thinking 110's are your bet. Try 4895.

There are no gun shops in DC. Firearms are prohibited in the DC. (Which is why it has the highest murder rate of any city in the US) Luckily, right across the river in Arlington, VA there are a number of shops. My daughter once worked in DC but lived in Arlington and she mentioned that there were a few shops. Google "Gunshops in Arlington VA" and see what you get.~Muir

ha ha ha, that explains the lack of google results then! but can I buy stuff and bring it into DC and fly outta there alive with it?

thanks for your help M

P

great, many thanks, will get some H4895 and some light bullets for the dirty six and see how we get on

Hi PKL, try cliffsgunsmithing he will have anything you will want. Very quick postage and if under 3 pounds very resonable rates. I havent bought bullets in this country for the last 2 years, saved a fortune.
Tusker

Hi PKL, try cliffsgunsmithing he will have anything you will want. Very quick postage and if under 3 pounds very resonable rates. I havent bought bullets in this country for the last 2 years, saved a fortune.
Tusker

same here , a very good service i can throughly recomend him !

Cliff is a real Gent and does everything he can to keep the postage down too.
Here's a picture of the Gent himself with a lovely Mule Deer he shot.

Can you still buy stuff from him, was thinking about getting some stuff sent over last year but wasn't sure if you was still allowed? Thought they might of changed the law?

Can you still buy stuff from him, was thinking about getting some stuff sent over last year but wasn't sure if you was still allowed? Thought they might of changed the law?

He will suss it out his end and if it is legal he will send it.
If he thinks postage is too much for the item you want, he will tell you before sending it.

great, many thanks, will get some H4895 and some light bullets for the dirty six and see how we get on

Hello PKL, have loaded 110 Hormany sp over 56gr N150 for my 06. Found it to be a very accurate combo out of my 26" barrel. Hope this helps.

<br><br>Hello PKL, have loaded 110 Hornady sp over 56gr N150 for my 06. Found it to be a very accurate combo out of my 26" barrel. Hope this helps.&nbsp;

Hi Eddie, thanks for posting a pkoto of Cliff. It is nice to put a face to the name.
What hunting you got planned this year?
Tusker

Yes Cliff is a great guy, he knows the problems we have in UK. I am meeting up with him in May.
Then Poland November, Croatia December and Hungary in January.
During the summer months just normal Stalking.
I don't like cold weather but now I look forward to Winter.

110gr v max with varget,can't recall grainage of powder off hand but 20 fow off rifling,awesome accurate,I've shot 1 inch 3 shot groups at 300yds and the odd bunny at 400yds,oh and they expand wicked

what's the lightest bullet load you guys have succesfully got to stabilise and group in a standard 1:10 30-06?

I'm thinking for varmint, not deer?

How about a .223 bullet in a sabot ? Not tried them myself. Peter Lawman sells the sabots.

As they make a chamber adaptor for 30-06 to allow firing a .32ACP round - a.k.a. 7.65mm - then I reckon that they'd be the bullets above.
.32-cal bullets ARE still sold in the UK - some of the classic shooters use them, as well as others.

Saw a nice Husqvarna pistol in .32 on Saturday for the princely sum of £80! Pity that I dont live in Sweden or I'd have bought it!

Last edited:
Back