Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .22 cal springer

Best .22 cal springer

I am considering getting a little springer specifically for hunting rabbits. I know very little about air rifles - they aren't nearly as common down here as in the UK, especially for hunting applications, so i can really use the advice of folks here who regularly hunt rabbits with an airgun.

As i will be hunting rabbits, i figure power is going to be paramount. I am thinking i will be best off with a .22 cal, but i would be willing to listen to arguments for smaller calibres. I was figuring on a springer to keep price down, because i would be very happy with a single shot, and because i would like the extra power possible with a springer (althpough i notice some of the PCP guns are very powerful now). I am thinking a quality underlever is probably the way to go, the RWS 460 magnum having caught my attention.

I would also appreciate recommendations on hunting pellets.

Last edited by kernel gadaffi; 05-04-2012 at 12:06. Reason: Spelling

all pretty reliable now.
    dont discount the benefits of the flatter trajectory of a .177.
    Especially as you will probably be head shooting rabbits out to 50+ yds.
    A .177 pellet still has plenty of energy but requires less of the holdover at 12ft/lbs (do you have the same limits there?)

PCP's are getting cheaper and cheaper.
    I picked up one with a footpump ,pellets, sleeve, spares, tools, targets etc for 300

An air rifle in australia has to be registered, and comes under the same registration class as any rimfire or shotgun, so no, there is not a reason to keep under a given power limit. And hence i want as much power as i can get within reason. My ranges will be long - 50yards is going to be the standard. I would normally go for a rimfire instead, but as there are a lot of visitors in the area i think going with an air rifle will be preferable.

I had started by looking at the Weihrauch HW80, as it was one of the few air rifles i knew. It just seems to be down on power a bit vs some of the competition - but i find it difficult to assess because you just get a stated maximum velocity without pellet weight or type, so i find i very hard to compare. The RWS guns look to have a bit more power.

Weihrauch HW95 mines had 8 years hammer and still going strong and would never sell it!

no your all wrong its got to be the hw77k

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    no your all wrong its got to be the hw77k
    +1 - bought one in .177 last week, only put a few pellets through it so far, but I'm impressed with its accuracy. Hope to blood it before too long!

Try ? and Google, Chairgun pro.
    HW 80. The Workhorse, mine is 45 years old.
    The .20 cal is a good compromise?
    Superb trigger unit too.

HW77,HW97,HW80 ALL FANTASTIC got them all in .22 had pre charged too much bother! never really tried the .177 .