How accurate?

MJR

At the range over the weekend I shot a Sako Trg. Hardly a stalking rifle I know but boy was it accurate. At 100m it was a case of slightly enlarging the hole the previous round had made in the target and that was with factory loads. So its got me thinking, how accurate can a semi custom or custom 'stalking' rifle be made to shoot? How does such a rifle stack up cost wise? And who's the best at this? I have a Tikka 595 that Riflecraft bedded and worked the trigger on which will clover leaf at 100m(with home loads) and for me thats fine but how much better can a custom rifle be?

MJR

Following some advise from world record holding bench rest shooter I now find 200m-300m a better proving distance of a rifles performance than 100m. Some of the kit these leading target, bench rest and F Class lads are shooting produces awesome accuracy performance.

MJR

Accuracy is a great thing, and it sounds like you already have it with your 595 that Andrew bedded for you.

Dont get caught up in it, how dead is dead ;) :)

Max

Thanks guys. Yep ,totally agree, there is no need for a more accurate rifle but the more I get into it the more interested I get. Just really trying to establish how accurate a 'stalking' rifle can be.

I have a bog standard Tikka 595 in .222rem and this will shoot half inch groups all day long with certain reloads. Nobody has bedded it or adjusted the trigger which is just about ideal for me. I personally don't see the need for anything more accurate, though I do admit admiration for some of the custom rifles produced in recent years, but there again some of them needed improving.

About twelve years ago I bought Second Hand a Sako 75 Left Hand in 6.5x55 that had been re-barrelled from .270 by Medwell and Perrett.
No bedding, just a free floating barrel.
When first trying it on the range at 100 yards with a rest I fired a shot, which my mate called "One inch low and Half inch Left". I fired a second shot and he called "That has either gone down the same hole or you have missed the target completely". I fired a third shot which landed a quarter inch to the right of the first one and when checking the target closely you could see that the second shot had indeed gone into the first hole.
Not boasting, just singing the praises of Medwell and Perrett. I don't know if they are still going as I have not heard of them for a while.

About twelve years ago I bought Second Hand a Sako 75 Left Hand in 6.5x55 that had been re-barrelled from .270 by Medwell and Perrett.
No bedding, just a free floating barrel.
When first trying it on the range at 100 yards with a rest I fired a shot, which my mate called "One inch low and Half inch Left". I fired a second shot and he called "That has either gone down the same hole or you have missed the target completely". I fired a third shot which landed a quarter inch to the right of the first one and when checking the target closely you could see that the second shot had indeed gone into the first hole.
Not boasting, just singing the praises of Medwell and Perrett. I don't know if they are still going as I have not heard of them for a while.

http://www.r93.co.uk/35.html

accuracy out of the box!

trigger cant be adjusted, action cant be bedded/trued they just shoot bloody well.

might be tempted to send one in myself if i can get the bloody thing to open up a little ;)

this is a 3 shot group at 150 yards from my .308, its not on the target because i took the 8x56 straight off the .243 without adjusting

08022009531.jpg

this is 3 shots at 200 yards with the .243 55gn btip, note the tape on the fence and the strong side wind. only the windage has altered, not the elevation. the first two were 18mm apart.

15022009538.jpg

this is two 2 shot groups at 300 yards with the 55 b tips, less then 50mm apart. the second group was adjusted 2 clicks high and right from the first to get it on target - this was from the .243 zeroed at 200 yards, although i moved the target to get the wind behind me.

15022009539.jpg

and thats from a 12 year old blaser that rarely ever gets cleaned

Howa stainless 22-250 sporter. trigger tuned and recrowned. Not bedded but in a good stock. 3 shot, pity it wasn't me that shot it.
edi
3x22250.jpg

With the tikkas I've had "great success" - My 595 cloverleaves & my M55 is a screamer,all this with brass that isn't fire formed.
To me this shows that there is little point,for my deer stalking needs to get a custom, worse still most semi-customs on the market are remingtons & with the worrying state of the USA's industries at the moment I wonder how consistent the actions will be.

As has been said, if 400m groups are your thing,them go for a custom!

I compete in various range based competitions every year (practical rifle, etc). The Sako TRG falls within the catagory however you wouldn't want to take it stalking.

If i know that i'll be shooting from the bonnet of the truck, etc then i may take my Accuracy international along but the days of crawling through much with it being dragged behind me are long gone. The rifle plus scope and mod would be reaching the 20lb - you'd have to be a numpty to want that. Hardly enjoyable.

The Tikka 595 is a fine rifle. I know of at least 2 british police forces who use it and i'd much rather stalk with that any day than a TRG 22 or 42.

Howa .308 - stainless laminate. Glass bedded and trigger adjusted - otherwise as out of the box!

100m 3 shot group, 150gn BTSP.

HGpMedium.jpg

Cant remember where but i read recently a coment that 20 years ago we where happy hitting a 4 inch circle at 100 yards with our stalking rifles...

We certainly came a long way

NELL

The best group I ever did with by Steyr SSG .308 was 7 shots in a 1 inch circle at 200 yrds with 180 grn Norma factory loads. They must suit the barrel.
The scope? 3-9 x 40 Hunter that cost £12.

While we're at it I thought I might as well add one of my own.....
SPA53313.jpg

With my out of the box CZ with .223 Prvi Partisans. 100yds. 3 or 4 rounds, cant really remember.

I reckon this is pretty good accuracy - yes that is 5 shots, fired prone @100yds... but not from an out of the box rifle! :eek:

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

My best group ever; 0.069" - thank you Rhino Rifles for the barrel!

Cheers

Chops

Chops

Brilliant performance and thanks for posting.

It is good to see. The boys at Rhino know their stuff and great couple of blokes to deal with to boot.

Really good.

I was doing some load development recently with the 222rem. Styer, entirely factory, with a PES fitted. I make this group .3" centre to centre. This was shot of sand bags at 100m.

002.jpg

Back