44 magnum for Deer

Edchef

Beginners Question&nbsp;<br>I get the impression that Lever Action Rifles and some pistol cartridges (.44 Rem Magnum for example ) seem to be in common use in the USA for woodland Deer shooting but not in Britain. Is this because of the law, calibre or type of stalking undertaken over here? I used to own a Marlin U/L .22 many years ago and I loved it - are they just unfashionable these days I wonder? I have noticed one or two for sale on the internet and, being left handed they suit me <br>Apologies if this seems a daft question &nbsp;- probably the first of many from me

Beginners Question&nbsp;<br>I get the impression that Lever Action Rifles and some pistol cartridges (.44 Rem Magnum for example ) seem to be in common use in the USA for woodland Deer shooting but not in Britain. Is this because of the law, calibre or type of stalking undertaken over here? I used to own a Marlin U/L .22 many years ago and I loved it - are they just unfashionable these days I wonder? I have noticed one or two for sale on the internet and, being left handed they suit me <br>Apologies if this seems a daft question &nbsp;- probably the first of many from me

It would be permissible in England and Wales providing a muzzle energy of 1700 ft lbs was attained. 300gn bullet 1598 fps, 240gn bullet 1786 fps.
In Scotland there is also a minimum velocity requirement of 2450fps which I am fairly certain the .44 mag cannot attain.

Last edited:
I shot a scoped lever action .357 winchester once.
lovely thing to shoot.

shame it would probably be under-gunned for deer at present legal limits.

Why not try a 30-30. It's a nice light recoiling round that will drop any deer and give you a little more range.

Thanks for all the comments folks.
It looks like I will have to ask for the weapon for target and deer shooting.
Do I have to obtain permission from landowners to shoot deer beforehand - that's probably a question for another part of the forum
Thanks again
Ed

Thanks for all the comments folks.
It looks like I will have to ask for the weapon for target and deer shooting.
Do I have to obtain permission from landowners to shoot deer beforehand - that's probably a question for another part of the forum
Thanks again
Ed

you usually need landowners permission to shoot anything, even cardboard.

I'm not sure of the legalities for deer in Britain (or Denmark), but it's fine for Ireland and also ok for boar on the continent. I use Remington 150gr corelokt and it drops anything as long as you do your part. Reds are much softer than the sika that we commonly shoot in my part of the conuntry.

Is normal factory .30-30 legal for red deer?

Back