Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anybody any knowledge on mods are some makes better than others. i was thinking of using one for zeroing my rifle,but not for stalking.would the point of impact change

Hi, could well have a different point of impact with the mod off of the rilfle, the reason is due to a change in the barrel harmonics due to the loss of the weight of the mod , the barrel moves as the shot is taken and resonates by design..thats why the barrel beingin contact with the forend of the rifle, for example by using a Harris bi-pod, can cause a problem..that was the fault withthe Mk 1 Steyr Prohunters, hope that helps, mate

thanks cervus
    looks like i will have to leave it on for stalking or ,not buy one and put up with the noise and recoil, mmhh!

I have a mod on my .243. I use it all the time as the point of impact is 3" high and 1" to the right when I fire the rifle without the mod. I don't know of any moderator that does not effect the poi if you remove it or add it to the rifle without re-zeroing. If one exists, I would like to her about it.

i have a t8 on my 3006. 9 times out of ten i can see the bullet strike but it makes the rifle front heavy and even heavier with a harris bipod, my mate has a pes full lenghth sleeve on his 7mm which makes it very evenly balanced, shop around and definately look and handle as many different moderated rifles as possible i love my t8 but i love his 7mm even more when on a long hike hope this helps stone

thanks for your comments ,i looked on a mod site and the t8 looked good in the write up but like you say a sleeved mod balances the rifle ,i think i will have to sleep on it before i decide wich way to go

I have a T8 which is very quiet but having looked at a number of the new crop of moderators the ASE UTRA looks to me to be one of the smallest that does the job well. Thats what I will be having on my nextrifle or barrel.

Devish Dave is right about the ASE UTRA S5, I have one on each of my Sako 75s and theyare compact, and very effective, probably a little snappier in the sound attenuation than the T8 but not at all uncomfortable to use..I thinkthe reflection of the sound from say a surrounding tree line or similar gives that impression of a higher defined moderated sound but at 650grams and with the solid construction I can live with that, and they do not rust or ring mark the barrel at the bushing..a pull through with a Bore-Snake and some WD40 is all I do and no corrosion and consistent kit IMHO

Wildcat mods

High Tommy, I've just got a wildcat for my Sauer 202. Within hours of buying it two stalkers told me I'd made a mistake as theirs had been unreliable, and threw fliers from time to time. I've had it on for a few weeks now and am still delighted with it. I'm no marksman, but all my shots at 100yds are well within a 2" circle, and for me thats good enough. Three fallow and a fox all between 50 and 100yds haven't complained. Haven't used any others, but I'd vouch for this one.
    All the best.

Don't get one unless you have to are my thoughts. Proffesional useage excluded. got one in the safe - i rarely use now. to heavy, too many carry issues like length inside hides / high seats. And if you ever have to stop a wounder on the hoof the handling and swing of your carefully designed and balanced rifle will be so badly effected it will be pure luck if you nail it.