Thread: bucks in velvet

bucks in velvet

what do you guys do with bucks in full velvet, keep in some form of trophy format (if so how), or do you just bin the heads and enjoy the venison? Just curious as I've always shot bucks clean, but tonight I shot my first buck of the season at 20:18, I knew it was a yearling in velvet, 5 pointer, so perfect to leave, but:
    a. it was a great stalk with my dog and taking the buck was just what she needed
    b. I really need the buck to pay my land-rent to a farmer for the year

should I keep the trophy (can you?)?

i would bin the head ,enjoy the venison ,and savour the memory ! i did do a munty in velvet many yrs ago didnt look right really pure white ,you can colour them

I shot a small 4 pointer in velvet this evening. The ferrets will enjoy the head for a couple of days then it`s in the bin.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

If you want to keep the head then boil as normal and then suspend upside down in meths for a few days. Remove and let dry out. You actually have the skull with velvet still there. They never look right stripped and coloured.

As for shooting the animal dont explain yourself!!! You went out to stalk a buck and shot one. Good job, well done!!!!! Really pleased for you it was a good stalk and at 8.15 you really were at last knocking!!