Ebay

David T

Looking at the Zeiss scope that are advertised on ebay at what appears on the surface to be good prices. But, they come in from the states. Does anyone have any experience of bringing one of these scopes into the UK and what is after sale service like ?

Have a search on here.
If it is a Conquest there is no after-sale care short of sending it back to the states.
You will pay import tax/duty/vat etc, and if you need to send it back for repair will probably have to pay it again when it comes back.
(unless you kept all the various receipts.

Neil. :)

As above you are liable for paying any import tax, duty, etc but also be aware that the duty is calculated on the total, i.e. item cost + shipping / postage. Royal mail will pay this to the inland revenue on your behalf, then charge you a fee on top of the duty for having done so. They will not deliver until these costs have been paid. The prices are a lot less attractive after these additions.

Noah.

if you can get the vendor to list it as a gift and specify it as an item of lower value then you could get away without duty if you are lucky. depends on the vendor

if you can get the vendor to list it as a gift and specify it as an item of lower value then you could get away without duty if you are lucky. depends on the vendor

Then you have no insurance for a very expensive scope.
Should it be opened by customs you and the seller are in big trouble, not worth it.

Get it sent as a gift, but get it sent by UPS as there are then no charges this side (royal mail dont rip you off) there are many sellers from the US who also offer dispatch from within the EU to avoid this problem.

Get it sent as a gift, but get it sent by UPS as there are then no charges this side (royal mail dont rip you off) there are many sellers from the US who also offer dispatch from within the EU to avoid this problem.

UPS deliver items, and then bill you for any import charges after you have the goods.

You need to be sure that it is genuine, not all fakes are posted from the far east, some European scopes are more expensive in the states

Hmmm really?

I always understood that international postal rates were set by agreement between the differeing countries. So the Royal Mail knew darn well that packages from abroad would need to go through cuatoms and would ahve taken that into account at the time. But yet they have for some time now charged for "presenting the goods" to customs when in fact one has already paid for the service of delivery.

Just ask at any sorting office counter why there is an extra charge when the full postage has already been paid and watch them bluster. Nine times out of ten if a parcel comes from abroad and needs this extortion paid I have to do a near 30 mile round trip as they won't bring it out like they used to and get the payment at the door. Seems too much of it went missing due to the trusting nature of their employees. When the question about them not full filling thier end of the contract is asked they als get all up tight and bluster. No wonder their losing more and more custom.

Your implying on an open forum that is known to be read/monitored by the Police that one should get an unknown person to make fraudulent claims to avoid paying duty.

Not very bright that :rolleyes:.

One reason why a lot of American vendors are now not willing to deal with those outside the US. Too many asking them to do illegal acts methinks.

The Uk tax system has nothing to do with why us companies are unwilling to post over seas, it's to do with the export of equipment that may be used for terrorist actions, this includes certain gun sights and gun parts, steel pipes or even computer components. To have to register to export certain components is not worth the effort for one off exports.
Bh you have to qualify who is a unknown person, do members of this forum qualify as you may communicate more with them than members of your own family. I am sure the police and hmc&e have better things to monitor, than this site for someone saying he is going to ask someone to post a scope as a gift, as to the value of the gift I have had items valued at far greater than £35 and not heard a word from the vat man

you can not get away with it being called a gift any more the customs thieves wont wear it,,,this is why the seller will no longer put on the parcel that its a gift,

the VAT is calculated on total price i.e $500.00 scope VAT at 20% on that price conveted to £ $500.00 = £314.25 + 20% =£62.85 then a courier collects they charge you delivery + VAT ,,,,,delivery maybe £10.00 so £10.00 + another £2.00 so your 500 dollar scope has cost you another 85 quid on top.

its a ****ing rip and they know you have no way around it if you aint going to buy it here in good old rip of Britain.

so in most cases it is still cheaper to buy from abroad but you have to take a big chance on getting what you think you are paying for.

i bought a thumbhole stock from the US its a cracking plank of wood and total including all the rip of tax came in at £158 the same stock here was over £300.00 quid so the way i look at it if the yanks can make it for $99 why cant they do the same here,,,this country is a ****ing joke they take the **** to live here and they take the **** for any thing you want.

I have a sister who lives in Colorado Springs she was telling me on the phone yesterday that fuel has gone up 87 cents over there now and she is paying $4.12 a US gallon for fuel,,,,,.

paul

American firearms retailers are subject to strict rules as laid down by ITAR, International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Any scope with a magnification greater than 4x including hunting scopes are subject to an export license: these cost time and money. Certain EU countries are exempt from some of these restrictions, France and Germany being two. Sadly the UK and Switzerland are not!

These laws even apply to tourists in the US, so technically, it is against the law to try and leave the country with a scope in your held luggage.

Back