Thread: Triple Rifle

Triple Rifle

Saw this auction on It's long sold but thought this was an unusual piece. I imagine it would be a fine drive gun.

Only 2 triggers !!! How's it work? Which barrel gets fired first and how does third barrel get fired?

Nice idea but I'm not too sure that they actually work very well. If you've ever had fun trying to develop a load that will regulate with a double rifle think of all the additional problems with getting a triple to regulate. I have seen advertisments for Mathelon rifles in French magazines for years and have even seen one at a game fair but don't think that these rifles have sold in any real numbers even in France where it is made.

Two barrels are fired by the front trigger and the bottom barrel is fired by the rear trigger.
    Last edited by 8x57; 08-04-2012 at 07:38.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I hadn't thought about the issues with regulating. I imagine it's set up like a drilling as far as triggers go. One triger for top two barrels and one for the bottom. I suppose if the top two barrels are regulated the bottom barrel might shoot straight through the intersection of the top barrels? I have never regulated a double though.

It's normal to regulate european express rifles to shoot a group of two rounds from each barrel into roughly a 2" circle at 50 metres though sometimes a different distance is used. I suppose triple rifles will be about the same. A top quality double rifle will be regulated so that it can be shot at much greater distances because the shots will lie parallel to each other and not cross.

That action looks very much like a HEYM if I were a betting man I would put a 1 on the nose on that one.
    The action is shaped the same and I am sure they have done these. I know they make three barrel combinations etc.

I think you would loose your 1 Sako3006. There are many companies that make drillings and combinations and Mathelon is one of them. There is only so much that you can do to change the look of such guns so I suppose many will look similar.