Thread: Hi from Gloucestershire

Hi from Gloucestershire

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, so thought I'd dive in. I've been shooting on and off for <cough> 'several' decades in one form or another, but I am brand new to stalking. Until a few years ago I led a fairly nomadic lifestyle (forces) which wasn't conducive to building local contacts and permissions. Now I'm a bit more settled I'm trying to address that. I shoot shotgun and .22/.17 rimfire on a few local permissions but I've yet to find anywhere that will let me shoot deer.

I have a deer legal rifle, but it's currently conditioned for range use only. I have been on one paid stalk which was very enjoyable but didn't result in the opportunity for a shot - so my cherry is intact! I may do one or two more of these, but the costs mount up so long term, I'd really like a local stalking permission of my own. I'm considering doing DSC1 to gain knowledge and build contacts, but I'm slightly reluctant to spend the cash if I don't get chance to use it, so a bit of a catch 22! I did do the German Jagdshein (sort of DSC equivalent) many years ago, but moved on before I had chance to take advantage of it.

I try to learn as much as I can by watching deer when I'm out pigeon decoying, rimfire bunny bashing, or just walking through the woods with the binos. I'm lucky to live in a beautiful part of the world with lots of deer, finding somewhere to shoot them is the challenging bit!

Anyhow, enough of my waffle - I may be back with lots of bone questions, forgive me!

wotcha Dave, welcome to the family!

you sound like me.. happy mooching around in a wood with no ****er bothering you!!

lots of good stuff on here and lots of opinions and a mine of knowledge.

Welcome to the site Dave, what part of glos are you from? i have a chap not far from me who i go out with and he is very reasonable.
    regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Hi Jez, I live just outside Stroud

the chap i go out with is right by ragley hall if thats not too far from you?
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    the chap i go out with is right by ragley hall if thats not too far from you?
    Jez no not too far at all, I'd be grateful for the details.

Thanks all for the welcome!

No such thing as a daft question

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses