weekend on the munties with wayne and andy

I had to push my luck a bit to make this date but a invite from wayne and andy to stalk is not
to be turned down .
the long suffering shooting widow my wife asked me if i was shooting easter weekend anywhere
i replied only the good friday as it was the county selection for all round on the clays .
she explained we had been invited to her mothers for a easter sunday lunch
I thought fine should be a nice afternoon so i said accept with thanks .

tuesday morning and a phone call from wayne davies would i like to attend a cull evening on the
munties with a few guys off the site this coming easter weekend .
as i have said you dont turn an offer like that down .
so explained to the wife me and jake ( no 1 son ) would travel up sat afternoon shoot sat evening
sunday morning and be back for sunday lunch :scared:

we arrived at waynes about three then off to check into b and b and back to waynes for some bacon
sarnies thanks mate gratefully recieved .
just enough time then to have a fondle of the k95 blaser that is waynes new toy :D
A cracking piece of kit and im sure a pleasure to own .:D
the boys off the site started to turn up which were john / woodmaster and jez /straightbewtweentheeyes
ezzy 6.5 we met at the ground a pleasure to meet you all .

the evening stalk we were placed in highseats with instructions on what to shoot and safety lines etc
jake and I blanked but the evening produced three animals two for one gun well done ezzy
I will let the guys do their own write ups
we met up to hear each others exploits and to have some photos taken and a cool beer which went
down a treat .
wayne dropped us off at the b and b on the way back for a 5 45 pick up in the morning .

sunday morning arrived wayne picked us up and we met up with andy in the dark
the plan was to start off in some high seats on new ground that waynes has acquired then to stalk off
on foot to see if we could bag a muntie .
I was to stalk with wayne the blaser club :lol: and jake with andy the sako tikka brigade :-|
wayne and i arrived at our high seat and settled to scan a big clearing up a steep bank to try and catch
a muntie on the move we stayed here for around 45 minutes with no joy then proceeded to stalk off on
foot on many of the rides that made up a maize of cover that munties love .
there was plenty of mark as we made our way scanning as we went suddenly wayne pointed and his pace
started to quicken as we made our way up a steepish bank he had spoted a buck on the far bank .
we managed to get to a shootable poisition and wayne pointed to where the buck was standing broadside
at about 100 to 120 ish i managed to find its position in the binos as wayne raised the sticks .
I knew i could not **** about as these buggers dont hang about too long so i steadied the sticks and sent
a 165 grain fusion on its way the buck dropped to the shot it rolled down the bank still alive i chambered
another round and covered it for a minute to make sure it was dead by which time it now was .
on inspection it was a nice young buck in wonderfull condition .
I had shot a bit far back wayne performed the gralloch and we stalked back along to where jake and andys
poision was we gave them a text to meet up and when we did revealed that they had seen four muntjac
jake had managed a doe which was his first muntjac so he was over the moon :D

after some photos with us all and max waynes pointer it was off to the cafe for a cracking fry up
andy you missed out there mate :(

we travelled back to somerset to make lunch by 1.30 so got away with a rollicking :lol:
wayne andy
many thanks for a fantastic couple of stalks the oppertunity to stalk with like minded people
and brilliant hospitallity and providing jake with his first muntie .
topped off a great weekend for me after winning somerset all round championship with a 96 ex hundred
on good friday. many thanks regards pete / jake

Good write up Pete didn't realise the time scale was that tight. Young jake is having a bit of a purple patch at the moment (that being his first munty plus the job ) give me a call if you want a lift Wednesday cheers James

Pete sounds like you had a good time mate, so pleased my skills and knowledge have been passed onto you buddy. Keep up the good work

well done to all of you.
Wayne, max's sister breeze is just coming on heat but i think i will leave her another term or so.
her mother and father (10 and 12 respectively) were caught day before yesterday getting "jiggy"with it.....hope nothing comes of it but watch this space. LOL

Good write up. I enjoyed the evening alot. Had a cracking seat shame I didn't manage a buck even though one presented itself. As you said they don't hang around to long. I'll be quicker next time. Great to meet you all. Thanks again Wayne I look forward to meeting up again. Please take up my offer I would like to think it's a two way street. Same to Andy I appreciate your time and generosity. Happy hunting.

Pete sounds another great weekend mate. Well done to your lad on his first muntie.

It was a shame I couldn't make it, was down in London with the boys. maybe next time.

Well done again Wayne and Andy for putting on another SD Muntie trip.

Jonathon

Hi Pete
It was good to see you and Jake glad we got a couple in the end.

Wayne

DSC01377.jpg

Hi Pete and Jake,

Great to see and stalk with you again.
Glad we caught up with a couple for you and were able to repay the hospitality and sport you showed us in Somerset.
Would have loved to have accompanied you guys for breakfast but me being out three days on the trot hadn't gone down too well with the boss(wife), so thought I better get back and earn a few brownie points before next weekend :D.
All the best,
Andy.

Back