Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asking a farmer or landowner permission to shoot his land.

asking a farmer or landowner permission to shoot his land.

Hi All,
    does anybody have any good examples of ways to approach local farmers for shooting permissions?
    Some Say a letter sent, some say a face to face. I dont want to seem to pushy, i just want the chance to shoot more. Any advice taken...............

By far the best way is to meet people so that they 'know' you first. If anyone turned up at my door wanting to wander around my garden at will with a firearm I would tell them to sling their hook.

If you can get in with 1 farm then that may be your way into an area. I'm lucky that I meet farmers through work. I could take on far more bunny shooting than I ever could get around.

The approach that the pigeon shooting chaps seem to use is that they saw a load of birds eating such and such a crop. Deer are far more valuable than bunnies or pigeons. What are you wanting to shoot?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I have land to shoot deer, but thats in Scotland and to far for few hours out and about.
    I'm just looking for some rough shooting/vermin control - crows, bunnies, pigeons etc..
    You would have thought that farmers would be happy to have some help but it just seems hard to break into there circle.

Door knocking for woodpigeon shooting and rabbits does work, ideally you need to a farm with a visible pigeon or rabbit problem.

I used to drive around with a car full of decoying gear, find a field of pigeon, find the farmer and politely ask for a 'one off' go at the pigeons. Success rate was probably better than 50%. Used to cover alot of miles though and the current fuel prices are now prohibitive.

everyone needs a hand sometimes , farmers and keepers . Thing is alot of folk are willing to pay for shooting these days so you need to be of some use , i keep the rabbiting a pigeon shooting back for my beaters so thats one way to get a foot in the door

I'm a Farmer and I'd instantly take to someone standing on my door step with a big bunch of crisp Fifty's!!

Most farmers are ok and will let you shoot if you show you are responsible and tell them you will solve a problem they may have. What you might find is most farms already have some one on. Jan feb for sheep farms is the best and sort out the foxes.

Find a few local pheasant shoots and volunteer as a beater. You'll meet loads of useful people that way!

There is no formula for picking up shooting. Some people just have a very annoying knack at doing it. One such pair I know of do go around knocking on doors and asking farmers but they also don't mind making enemies of other shooters to be successful. I don't think I would want to do this! You also have to be very good at putting yourself across in a short space of time and that counts me out being a bit of a social disaster! Luckily I am part of voluntary Deer managment group so I do have some stalking. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyC View Post
    Hi All,
    does anybody have any good examples of ways to approach local farmers for shooting permissions?
    John. Keep in mind that the farmer may not be the land owner and may not be in a position to give you permission to do anything. Determining who has the legal authority to give you permission to shoot is not straightforward.

Regards JCS