Howa 1500

shotguntom

I have been offered this rifle in .243, black synthetic, screw cut, drop plate mag, brand new for £500.

Can anyone tell me a little about it if you have owned one or used one.

Cheers

I have owned three 1500's. They are essentially a Weatherby Vanguard. They are a quality rifle. I still have the 223 under my roof, but the 270 went to my daughter's mother-in-law and the 30-06 was given to my son-in-law. All are very accurate. (that 270 was a real screamer:cry:) That rifle sells new in the States for $500 so the "dollar to the pound" rule must apply. There is a second hand M-1500 in 300 Win Mag in the city for $329 that I keep dancing around.....~Muir

yea the gun smith, who i know well and is my regular said it was a great rifle and shoots sub 1" out the box. he also has the same but in a walnut stock for a few hundred more...

Hi shotguntom
I have a Howa 1500, bought new a few weeks back. I haven't been able to use it very much yet so can't speak so much on performance (although I do understand them to be very good for the money - action and barrel)
I thought it was worth mentioning about the stock - is it a hogue-style 'overmoulded' one? These have a nice rubbery feel and would usually be the stock used on black synthetic. It's just that when I bought mine, I chose a different aftermarket-style stock, as the Howa ones can be a bit flexible. The one I looked at would certainly touch the barrel in certain situations e.g. if you had a heavy mod fitted and were using a bipod. The stock I chose instead doesn't feel as nice (just hard plastic, no 'warmth' to it), but I don't mind at all, because it leaves a very decent free-floating channel and is extremely rigid.
Cheers
Skinner

Skinner.

Yes that is the stock it has. Would you suggest getting the walnut one then? or getting another stock as you did.

Cheers

I have owned 3 Howa's, still own a 243 and a 308 and they clover leaf at 100 yards, superb rifles for the money and better than a lot of more expensive options. At £500.00 its a bargain.

DSC00009.jpg

As others have said a great rifle for the price. I have one in .243 with the walnut stock and cloverleafs with factory ammo out the box :)

Well first of all I would suggest that you have a look at the stock it currently has, and see what you think. I think they can vary so it may be worth having a look and a feel of the stock before deciding on anything else. Concentrate on the fore-end particularly, as that's where I found the main weakness. If it is all too flexible and you're not happy, then yes I guess you could either go for the walnut if you like wooden stocks (I don't know much about wooden stocks but I have seen Howa 1500 walnut stocks before and they looked fairly neat), or go for a different synthetic one like I did. There are many expensive options for this, but I got a 'cheapy' one. Try giving Steve Beaty at Ivythorn Sporting a ring, that's where I got my complete set-up. When I chose my stock he had a couple of other ones which were the same. By the way, they had a realtree camo pattern on them, as has the one I bought. Even if you're not keen on the idea of that effect (it does look very nice though!), still give him a ring as he may be able to help you with a different one. He is a very helpful bloke, say Ben Skinner suggested you give him a ring, explain the situation, and hopefully he might have/be able to get in something to send you.

Oh and also, even if you want the walnut stock, ask Steve if he would have one to send you, may be a cheaper way of getting a walnut stock.

Skinner.

Yes that is the stock it has. Would you suggest getting the walnut one then? or getting another stock as you did.

Cheers
I have the Vanguard in .243,super accurate rifle with homeloads and a good selection of factory stuff too, recently got a Boyds laminate stock for it, this has now fully floated the barrel,I am over the moon with the stock,cost about £130 quid all in,and it now looks very nice without the nasty plastic stock on it,you wont be dissapointed with it mate,the triggers are ok not brilliant,so I plan to get mine reworked at some point,for the money they are unbeatable in my opinion.

As above, I ditched the Hogue stock, it felt too flexible to me, since I got the boyds stock on its 100%.

got one and cant fault it accurate touch hole groups you wont go wrong with a howa it wont let you down

As above, I ditched the Hogue stock, it felt too flexible to me, since I got the boyds stock on its 100%.

Yeah good advice get a nice laminate stock from boyds £125 all in and I will certainly transform the rifle in the looks,feel and accuracy departments.....

I have a 1500 in .308, I have fitted a Boyds stock (because I could) and I am really happy with it, although to be honest I never had any problem with the Hogue over moulded stock, its been a very reliable rifle and I have no intention of moving it on, heres a good thread on the subject with a good review thrown in :D

Ok, thanks for the reply's. seems like it is just the rifle i am after as a novice just starting out with a budget to keep to in order for some nice glass.

cheers for all the help!

Slightly off topic. Would a shortened Howa 1500 ( 20/21 inch barrel) in a light stock be much heavier than 3.0 kg? I would like to get an inexpensive, reliable, light rifle to use on deer. I would try to buy a stainless barreld action in 308 or 30-06 ,have it shortened, and put one of Edi's light stocks on it. They now seem to be available with a 2 stage trigger. Put one of my Zeiss 6x42 scopes on it or even a Zeiss conquest and adding a Roedale moderator.

I have owned 3 Howa's, still own a 243 and a 308 and they clover leaf at 100 yards, superb rifles for the money and better than a lot of more expensive options. At £500.00 its a bargain.

DSC00009.jpg

I have the .223 stainless heavy barrel which groups like that.... there's a thread about a custom built rifle by Brock and Norris with grouping no better than that, so it just goes to show you can get accuracy for less than a grand, look no further than a Howa :D

The sporter might weigh around that when chopped, i have the varmint stainless chopped to 18" in one of Edis stocks, i weighed it when i first got it and it was 7 1/2lb (i think!) certainly a lot more useful than the 10lb it weighed sporting a 24" barrel and laminate stock. Cracking rifle.

(Replying to Hales post)

I was in the city last night and the 2nd hand Howa in 300 Winchester Mag for $329 I've been eyeing was sitting next to a Weatherby Vanguard in the same caliber for just $20 more. Sore temptation.~Muir

Back