tikka t3 set trigger

waggy 1

is the set trigger for the t3 a easy job to install ?and any body done it ? what wieght does this take it down to ? kind regards

Waggy,

I have a set trigger on one of my Sako 85's. Mine was fitted at the factory, but I did some research about having it done retrospectively and found out the following.

My understanding is that the whole trigger group is replaced. The task involves unscrewing the old one and replacing it with the whole new unit. I am told it is an easy job for a rifle smith. I assume it is the same procedure for a T3, but you would need to check. Chris Blackburn from UK Gunworks does alot of good work with Tikka's so he would be a good place to start.

Apologies for this next paragraph if you are an experienced shot and know what you want, but what is your reason for wanting a set trigger ? The reason I ask is that I got one because they were available and I had to wait for the rifle anyway so I thought "what the heck, I'll have it". With hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered.

The set pull on my Sako isn't (as far as I'm aware) adjustable and it is VERY light. If I'm careful, and under good conditions (warm hands etc), I can rest my finger on the trigger blade without setting it off. However, the slightest pressure beyond that and its away. I very rarely use it. I would certainly never use it in the field. Many experienced guys advise that a well set up normal trigger which breaks crisply at a safe amount of pull is the way forward. Based on my own experience as a relative novice, I am minded to agree. The trigger on the T3 is pretty good as it stands. You might be better off getting a smith to adjust it down a bit instead of the set option.

I apologise if you've had loads of rifles and the above is teaching your nan to suck eggs !!!.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
how come tikka and sako owners want set triggers, and all BRNO owners want to get rid of them, but can't!

hi bob thanks for your comments, as it happens i am an experenced shot ,with a lot more rifles than i really need !! and all have very nice light triggers, was just wondering what the t3 set trigger was like, may well speak to chris as you suggested, kind regards derek
Waggy,

I have a set trigger on one of my Sako 85's. Mine was fitted at the factory, but I did some research about having it done retrospectively and found out the following.

My understanding is that the whole trigger group is replaced. The task involves unscrewing the old one and replacing it with the whole new unit. I am told it is an easy job for a rifle smith. I assume it is the same procedure for a T3, but you would need to check. Chris Blackburn from UK Gunworks does alot of good work with Tikka's so he would be a good place to start.

Apologies for this next paragraph if you are an experienced shot and know what you want, but what is your reason for wanting a set trigger ? The reason I ask is that I got one because they were available and I had to wait for the rifle anyway so I thought "what the heck, I'll have it". With hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered.

The set pull on my Sako isn't (as far as I'm aware) adjustable and it is VERY light. If I'm careful, and under good conditions (warm hands etc), I can rest my finger on the trigger blade without setting it off. However, the slightest pressure beyond that and its away. I very rarely use it. I would certainly never use it in the field. Many experienced guys advise that a well set up normal trigger which breaks crisply at a safe amount of pull is the way forward. Based on my own experience as a relative novice, I am minded to agree. The trigger on the T3 is pretty good as it stands. You might be better off getting a smith to adjust it down a bit instead of the set option.

I apologise if you've had loads of rifles and the above is teaching your nan to suck eggs !!!.

Cheers,

Bob

I have one on my Mauser, Wasn't keen on it at first but now I am used to it I use it most of the time in the field the only time I dont is if I dont think I have much time to get the shot.

Dave

how come tikka and sako owners want set triggers, and all BRNO owners want to get rid of them, but can't!

Why would you want shot of it ?
My CZ527 has one, the normal trigger is set at around 1.75lb and is crisp as you like, creep free with no over travel.
The set trigger is very good, breaks like glass at 10oz, it will go lighter but that is what I prefer, for the few times it gets used.
Generally I use it for punching paper and zeroing, the only things I don't like about it are the longer reach to trigger once set, and the over travel.

Neil. :)

Mine's jerky when set, not crisp at all, first it goes, then it's a split second before it engages and breaks. Since its taken apart for restoration now anyway, I might just polish and stone the parts to see if it helps. might also replace the springs to try and remove some of the unpredictable creep.

Back